Full Automatic Aquarium Monitor

Saxsena

Hi Friends

I have been working on a project making a aquarium monitoring system. Its complete and I thought I'd share it with you. Brief explanation of what the system do and its features.

Monitors real time temperature and pH and displays on 16x2 LCD screen.

Controls the aquarium heater based on the temperature reading.

Sounds Alarm if temperature or pH reading exceeds the set min and max readings

Controls the automatic fish feeder.

Controls the aquarium light, heater, air pump and filter.

Set ON / OFF timer on aquarium light and air pump.

Full user configurable PC front application to monitor temp /pH reading, configuring the system and manual control.

Android Smartphone App to monitor temp/pH reading and switch ON/OFF aquarium light, heater, air pump, filter and feeding Fish

Bluetooth V.2 communication with PC and smartphone

Light ambient sensor.

WLAN and web based monitoring (optional)

Now some pictures:

379354_557836957562380_890972918_n.jpg

Prototype

778907_558836677462408_598612297_o.jpg

Sensor box ready

843972_562102847135791_1072833878_o.jpg

checking sensors on glass of water

843859_569609029718506_1030006024_o.jpg

Putting thing together in a neat enclosure

860955_576322842380458_890728289_o.jpg

69684_576322652380477_457452339_n.jpg

859954_576322435713832_1321539887_o.jpg

All nicely labeled

29033_576324699046939_1277518907_n.jpg

Screen Test

522552_584641734881902_837598346_n.jpg

Hacking the auto fish feeder to connect to arduino

883255_584641798215229_800229531_o.jpg

Hacked and ready to connect.

164435_588767377802671_1137698661_n.jpg

Everything that is in the project

(Note: Fish feeder is not there as took the pic before I figured out how to hack the feeder)

487945_569871176358958_197151945_n.jpg

PC front end application. Connect to PC via either bluetooth or USB.

(note: I have just updated the app and added the "Feed Fish" button which activates the auto fish feeder)

538065_569872113025531_761492965_n.jpg

Android App for smart phone. Connects via bluetooth. Provides real time reading. Shake the phone to activate fish feeder.

72295_588768981135844_734570424_n.jpg

581667_588769327802476_1640877573_n.jpg

Running on my Aquarium

I already have a web designed and coded for it. So one can fully control the aquarium from any web capable device. This project does not have that feature yet, but its fully up gradable.

I will put some video soon. Please provide your feedback on this. Positive or negative.

That looks cool, like something I would want for if i ever get a large tank.

Does it sore data about the ph/temp so that you can graph it against time, as that is something I am always interested in looking at but can not get enough readings to do it manually.

Also how water proof is the casing?

This one does not as I do not need that. But its very easy to store reading in microSD card, since the reading is very small in data usage, you would use 2GB card for years of data. Also you can use that data for graphing.

Holy crap, that is awesome Sanjay. I am really really impressed with the quality of workmanship and finished product, might be jumping ahead of myself here but will you be selling these or able to make one to order?

Thanks...I can make one to order, But this was built in my spare time plus I source all my parts myself. So time frame will be needed to built one. Let me now if you ever interested.

cheers

That looks cool, like something I would want for if i ever get a large tank.

Does it sore data about the ph/temp so that you can graph it against time, as that is something I am always interested in looking at but can not get enough readings to do it manually.

Also how water proof is the casing?

The case is not waterproofed. I thought about it, but could not find way to do it neatly. I assume one can use some kind of proxy glue or water sealant. I just try to keep it out of water and avoid the sensor box falling in aquarium, but the cables are long enough to attach them on the side or safe place away from reach of water....for now...till google god show me some bright idea. :lar:

cheers

Very cool, Sanjay. Could you use the pH reading to drive a relay to switch a CO2 feed on/off?

Are you going open source with your code, or are you thinking of producing these for profit?

Yes I can, same as I am using the temp reading to turn ON/OFF the heater. The code is not open source. This was developed out of hobby, so not producing this for profit, but I am willing to make on order for a price that will cover the cost of hardware and allow me to develop more exciting devices.

Nice one.

I started doing one of these using a Raspberry Pi. What pH sensor did you end up using for this build and was it very expensive?

It is most expensive sensor on the project. So you have completed the build or in process of building one. Raspberry pi is an interesting piece. I haven't worked on it, but would like to see some pictures ones you are done. Are you using linux to code the project?

Hi

Few have shown interest on the cost and the build. So I thought to inform that if you want one built for your aquarium. I can build them on order. Because I build and programmed it. It can be customized to you need and requirement, so the cost is very much dependent on it. The built will include all software (pc and smartphone(android). A basic manual guide. If you want to opt for Web access one, it can also have email alerts.

PM me what your require or even if you just want what i have got now and i will work out a cost for the build.

cheers

Yes I can, same as I am using the temp reading to turn ON/OFF the heater. The code is not open source. This was developed out of hobby, so not producing this for profit, but I am willing to make on order for a price that will cover the cost of hardware and allow me to develop more exciting devices.

Hats off to you, mate - that's some fantastic work. :bounce:

Not to jack your thread completely, but for those interested in automation and hi-tech builds this thread is worth a read; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ll-journal

He reckons the total cost will be close to US$100/gallon, though that includes the cabinetry around the tank. Here's a list of things [so far] that the Apex will be taking care of;

1.)auto-water changes from 75-100 gallon R/O storage tank that will be auto-dosed with ferts and minerals and regulated with Co2 and heaters to match tank parameters. System will overflow in the sump to a waste drain.

2.) float switches in the dosing storage reservoirs to let me know when they need to be refilled

3.)pressure switch on Co2 tank pre-regulator that will tell the Apex when the Co2 tanks are getting low

4.)float switch on main tank at top of rim that will turn off return pump if tank is about to overflow

5.)float switch in filter bag section of sump to warn Apex when filter bags are clogged

6.)flow switches on both pumps to tell the Apex water is moving through the pipes

7.)door switch to turn on canopy lights

8.)push button switch in canopy to turn on small clean-out gravel vac. pump for tank cleaning that will empty into a drain. This will also turn on the R/O storage tank pump and start replacing water you are draining. No siphons to get going, just stick hose I will keep coiled up in the canopy in the water, push a button, vac, push button again to turn off pump and hang up hose. Should take about 2mins to clean the tank.

9.)Canopy thermostate/humidistat that will trip relays telling the Apex to turn on ventilation fans and at what speed to set the fans.

It is most expensive sensor on the project. So you have completed the build or in process of building one. Raspberry pi is an interesting piece. I haven't worked on it, but would like to see some pictures ones you are done. Are you using linux to code the project?

I've started, meaning I have a raspberry pi for it, I've got it controlling relays on a bread board etc. I haven't got my sensors yet, seems the pH ones are all USD$300+ for anything half decent.

I haven't taken it any further yet because I'm now working on LED lighting and I want to get that sorted. I'm setting up my lighting so that it would be easily controlled by my pi.

I'm putting it on a marine tank and I'd like to have a bunch of other sensors as well. Things like PAR for lighting, salinity etc.

Yes it will be in linux. I'll probably just do it using cron jobs and a bunch of cgi scripts on a webserver. I'll then probably make an API that uses these cgi scripts so I can make pretty apps to work with it from other devices (phone / PC's).

I've started, meaning I have a raspberry pi for it, I've got it controlling relays on a bread board etc. I haven't got my sensors yet, seems the pH ones are all USD$300+ for anything half decent.

I haven't taken it any further yet because I'm now working on LED lighting and I want to get that sorted. I'm setting up my lighting so that it would be easily controlled by my pi.

I'm putting it on a marine tank and I'd like to have a bunch of other sensors as well. Things like PAR for lighting, salinity etc.

Yes it will be in linux. I'll probably just do it using cron jobs and a bunch of cgi scripts on a webserver. I'll then probably make an API that uses these cgi scripts so I can make pretty apps to work with it from other devices (phone / PC's).

Thats great...I don't have any linux knowledge, but i understand its very opensource. Well best of luck and keep posted.

you can get a decent one for less than that, GHL Ph probe is about $160.

Got a few spare.

And are they easy enough to rig up to custom gear? I've seen those, but thought they were only really suitable for their own branded controllers. In saying that, it should be reasonably trivial to amp up the output and work it out, but I'd prefer something that's a little less DIY in case I introduce inaccuracy without realising it.

I don't have a controller, I'm making my own like Saxsena did. I've seen quite a few pH probes that output in a serial format rather than just being a x mV/pH probe.

Saxsena, did you use one of these basic probes or one with some logic built in?