Bolivian Ram question?

newbiefishcpl

Is it quite common to have a more dominant Ram in a pair?

We have a very bossy one who thinks the tank belongs to him and is all over the place and one that is quieter, hides more and is always being chased by his friend. The bossy one has different markings than the quiet one, he is clearer with bright red tips on his fins, the quiet one has what appears to be stripes with red tips too.

They are both quite happy and get enough to eat, but is it common to have a bossy one and a quiet one?

I bought two Bolivian's. I picked them out because they were the most active in the display tank. When I look back I should have realised they were actually fighting. Anyhow, turns out they were both female and one was deffinately more dominant. It harrased the other one so much the weaker one evenutally died after just a few weeks. Then I added two blue rams. Before I bought them I watched closely in the display and this time I picked out the least aggressive I could see. The Bolivian started harrasing them from the moment I added them. A short while later though the two blues spawned and the tables changed VERY quickly. Even though the blues are smaller they can sure dish it out. The Bolivian is no longer dominant and all have got on relatively peacfully ever since. I wont be getting another Bolivian though while this one is still around.