What are we doing wrong?

newbiefishcpl

Our plants and rocks are covered with tiny little spikes of growth, algae I image. We clean the tank out every week, the lights are on daily between 8-10 hours, we only feed every two days and small amounts and we have two BN's.

Are we feeding too much? Are the lights on for too long?

How can we get rid of this, or limit the growth?

Any advice greatfully received :D

I bet you don't pull up your tomatoe plants and trim them once a week so why do it to your aquatic plants? Might I suggest that only having four plants, disturbing them regularly and adding fertilizers may be your problem. It takes a while for plants (undisturbed) to become established and start taking up fertilizers so with only a few plants you are only really fertilizing the algae.

Sorry if I sounded a bit cute. My point was that you have a very small load on the ferts with only 4 plants and it takes a while for them to become established and start taking up ferts so your ferts are feeding the algae. I would suggest lots more suitable plants and no ferts for a while.

in my 130 litre i have about 200 plants. 1 t8 powerglo , 1 t8 cool daylight, and 2 t5ho powerglos. Every 3 months i have to scrape a little bit of green dot algae off the glass but not enough to hinder my view of the fish. You need more plants, 4 isnt enough for a fishbowl.

You don't need to pull plants out to trim them. And maybe having natural wood or rocks would help too since they don't get as dirty as ornaments and they look much better.

When you go shopping, remember to choose things that are easy to care for. Java fern, Limnophila sessiliflora, Indian fern and Amazon sword plants are a good start. You could also get some Saggitaria or moss too.

• 3 weeks later...
Your wrong there Sam, Indian fern is quite fine for fish most people leave it floating at top. Nothing in the roots can harm fish.

My reading was that the plant died, not the fish?

Yay for plant shopping, OP :) I have about 80-100 plants in my 22l tank (granted, some of them are grasses so only have 4-6 tufts on each plant). Definitey go with more plants.

I agree with holding off ferts for a bit. Let the plants establish and go from there.