54L Amazon Blackwater Biotope

DennisP

I've added some sticks which I think helps the look.

Hopefully this week I should get some more Panda corys.

I've uploaded a video because I think it shows more than a few photos.

Photos will come too soon. Unfortunately the cories got some whitespot (pretty sure it's not sand) so I am dosing at the moment.

Anyway, Here is the video:

I'd like some input on stocking.

So far I'm thinking:

7 lampeye tetra

6 panda cories

2 bristlenose

1 red whiptail

2 apistogramma.

Id be interested in some small south American oddballs. But of course keeping stocking levels down. What are my options ?

Good work! I think you've done it very well.

IMO plant(s) would almost be a shame in that tank. Seems it doesn't belong.

I agree panda Cories or perhaps bandits? Would look good in there and then my suggestion will be a small group of hatchet fish cruising under the surface.

I'm gonna watch the video again now cos I liked it so much

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

I think you're right disgustipated, a small Back ghost knife would be lovely... if only they stayed small. I won't get one for this tank.

I might get some hatchet fish though, maybe 5 ish. But they are pricey, and I'll wait until everything else has arrived. Part of the enjoyment of the tank is "empty" space with no fish. But I think I could get a group of them. :)

I have added the plant, but its still in emersed form. I will hopefully grow and just sit on the surface like small lily pads.

I choose a boring looking plant because as you said hovmoller, a big feathery cabomba, or big sword wouldn't really belong.

I'll update with photos later tonight. Even though the plant looks funny and even as they're each roughly 15cm cuttings.

• 1 month later...

I've added some plants. Only a few days ago so no growth yet. The idea is the stargrass will float around the top corners.

I will sell the lampeye tetra (someone buy them please!), and then buy more ember tetra.

I've also added a very brown L010a Red whiptail. I haven't looked into it but may in fact not be a l010a?

I'm now 70% certain I only have 1 bristlenose left. I haven't seen 2 at the same time since the first week that I got them, so I don't think the other is still around. You never know in a tank like this though.

I have 6 Ember tetra, but 1 was given to me for free because I think its almost dead. Very skinny, floating at the surface and basically white. I don't expect it to survive, but if anyone knows any miracle cure, let me know!

I'm not 100% on the hairgrass yet. I might thin it out a little more but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get a dying fish to eat? The almost dead ember tetra I mentioned above is doing a bit better. I have him separated in a glass in the tank so he can relax (the lampeye tetra are bullies). The ember tetra still hasn't eaten anything although yesterday he did attempt to chase some food down.

I realise that it might be a useless attempt, but I don't see why not to try. I'm not ready to buy expensive meds though.