GT's have spawned

calculator

I came home from a weekend away to find that my GT (gold saum) have spawned. I wasn't expecting that to happen for a while as they are still small at 5-6 cm. is there any thing I should do to help hatch the eggs, or should I just leave them in the pot cave that the female has claimed and is protecting from any other fish from going near?

Also should the male be helping to protect the eggs as he is just swimming on the other side of the tank begging for food like he normally does.

They look awesome Calculator

There isn't really much you need to do, just keep the parents well fed

Feeding the parents flake food helps as the parents would be able to munch up the flake and disperse it over the fry

The parents are very protective of the fry, so other fish need to watch out.

Keep the water changes happening

[

congrat.. :f77:

I would remove the parent out into another tank..GL :thup:

The tank has more fish in then just the parents, and with out the parents protecting them the Hoplos would just eat them, and unfortunately I don't have another tank to move them into to grow out in.

After this weekend there is only about two dozen left now.

i think there's a good chance the parents won't grow much bigger than they are now.

If I have managed to stop my GT's growing ant larger then 7ish cm then I am onto something, start selling dwarf GT's.

Serious note, I heard that starting breeding early slowed down there growth, and maybe decreased their maximum size by a little bit due to the energy they use to breed, but I havnt heard of it stopping them growing any further.

• 2 weeks later...
They were schooling nicely with the mum, then I went away for the weekend and when I got back I couldn't see any, so they may have been eaten or in a few months time I may see some small GT's start to a pair, I live in hope.

:f77: good on u for keeping a good hope.

IMo with my experience in breeding a fews cichlids already, once the parents are disturbed when nursing their free swimming frys, they will tend to eat frys in the sense unable to Protect them..

:f77: good on u for keeping a good hope.

IMo with my experience in breeding a fews cichlids already, once the parents are disturbed when nursing their free swimming frys, they will tend to eat frys in the sense unable to Protect them..

haha, I shall remember that for next time they breed.

wud you swap for some Midas when those grow a little bigger

No sorry, I have planned to get GT for as long time, and like them very much.