Should i risk it?

Scarletmonuka

So i'm planning on getting some new fish on thursday. I have a 30 cm bgk in the tank these fish will be going into. some of the fish i will be buying are going to be 3 odd cm tiger barbs. His previous owner had him in with some neons and he let them live. but in saying that we have fed him guppies. there are a couple of 5 odd cm firemouths and a rainbow shark of the same size in there with him atm and he leaves them well enough alone. What do ya's reckon? should i risk it?

cheers

how many barbs? and do you have another tank to put the rest in should it fail?

6 tiger and 4 green tiger. yes i do and i was thinking that. but i'd have to buy heater and light for it though. i suppose thats not much of problem. then when the albino bristlenoses arrive that that i'm going to buy on trademe they can in there if they too small aswell. haha i just wish someone would buy BGK...

Barbs should be fine dude, he's been in with them and black widows before for quite some time. Only fish he ever fought with was a rtbs.

Just keep him fed.

yeah alright we got a quite a bit of bloodworms at the moment and always heaps of flakes. katie quite regularly goes and gets him earth worms as well

my BGK used to eat the other fish only at night time when the lights were off, since he has that awesome electrical prey locating system.

so, i was thinking, if there was a small night light on the tank during night time, just enough so the fish could see, then the BGK wouldn't have the advantage of the darkness to be able to catch the little fish as easy....

just a thought :)

i think BGK eyesight is pretty dim at the best of times anyway, hence their developed electrical navigation.

i used to use a very small low light overnight with my falcor (RIP) so that it was dark enough for him to come out and dance, but light enough so that other fish could see him, and so i could still see his silhouette dancing against the background. it looked rad. aww, i miss him.

kngj8.jpg

i think BGK eyesight is pretty dim at the best of times anyway, hence their developed electrical navigation.

i used to use a very small low light overnight with my falcor (RIP) so that it was dark enough for him to come out and dance, but light enough so that other fish could see him, and so i could still see his silhouette dancing against the background. it looked rad. aww, i miss him.

kngj8.jpg

from below the tank? pointing up from the floor? awesome pic.. loving the poster in the back ground

if you are giving him away free or cheap as chips just be careful that he is going to a proper home and not someone that only takes it because it's free...

If I one dollar reserve him it will state that it has to go into a tank at least the same size as he's in now. he's lived in smaller but it wouldn't be fair for him to go into one smaller then what he's been in now. i do like this fish and if i had the room i would keep him... he just doesn't fit in with how i am doing this tank unfortuantly. and really i don't want to wait to save up for a bigger tank before i can have my set up how i want it.

Ok so i originally bought 6 tiger barbs and 6 odessa.. BGK ate 4 of the tigers so i got another (bigger) 6... i am now down to only 4 Odessa's... even with feeding lots of flakes blood worms and sinking shimp pellets every night. moral of the story 30 cm BGK's do eat barbs!!!! haha i think i'm going to have to make a DIY tank divider