From cold to warm

sandaz

Hi,

my name is Sandra and I'm (obviously) new to the forum and also tropical fish keeping.

I currently have 2 goldfish which we bought 4 years ago when my daughter was mad about the movie Nemo. I recently got inspired and made some noises about getting a tropical tank. My husband decided to give me one for valentines day(I know he's lovely!) and we bought a ready made tank off Trademe. Super excited about getting it in two days time!

It's a 350 litre setup with the following fish coming with it:

2x Pictus Catfish

1x Whiptail

1x Red Tail Shark

2x Chain loach’s

2x Bristle nose Plecos (1 large and one medium sized)

2x Yellow and black Molly’s

1x Baby Molly (a couple of weeks old)

10x (ish) Neon Tetras

1x Yellow Platty

2x Pineapple Swordtails (1 male, 1 female)

6x Guppy’s

2x Siamese Algae Eaters

I'm sure I'll be posting lots of questions, but here is my first. I'd really like to "put my stamp" on the tank, and was wondering what fish would be nest to introduce? I love the silver dollars, gourami and angel fish...but not sure where to go, and how many more fish I can put in?

All answers much appreciated!

Hi Sandra and welcome, angel fish would eat your neons and baby fish and silver dollars grow quite large. It would be helpful if you add your location beside your avatar,I hope you enjoy your stay with us their are lots of knowledgable people willing to help on this site.

Thanks!

The guy I'm buying it from are helping me move it. He's decided to a reef tank and hence this one has to go.

Planning to take lots of water containers to take as much of the current water with us (~180 litres) and do fill the rest with a water change. He said he's got bags to put the fish in for easy transport. And scooping the black granite sand out and transporting in buckets. Any other things I should consider?

Am replacing the ornament with some drift wood as I think the sucker fish will do better with that.

The tank was recently moved into a new spot to make way for the reef tank and has had too much light on it, hence now have some black bearded algae. Mostly on the plants. Will replacing the plants get rid of it?

you can put young angels in tho keep a eye on them as they may have to be moved out when they get bigger, there is a 50% chance they may decide your neions are a good food.

the gourmais wont be a problem. you can put most community fish in there and a few types of other fish in, i wouldn't go with the silver dollars tho, if you like there shape take a look at the red fin tetra its a bit smaller but looks similar (i could be wrong with the name it looks like a silver dollar but its a tetra with a high dorsal fin with red on the tip and doesn't grow as big)

with the black beard just taking the plants away wont help much at all best way to deal with that is get a black line flying fox that will eat the budding black beard but it wont eat any established black beard, very very few fish will eat established black beard as its quite a hard plant, the only reliable way to get rid of what is there is to do a double dose of flourish excel (has to be excel) its a method of treatment not mentioned on the bottle because if your tank doesn't have enough oxygen can cause the fish to die by raising the co2 content too high

so method of treatment: insure your tank has lots of bubbles, introduce your new black line flying fox fish :) (don't forget he will eat sinking pellets and dead fish) , double dose with flourish excel, 3 days later do a 30% water change and if necessary do another double dose of excel followed by another 30%water change 3 days later and continue this cycle as long as necessary tho most tanks will have it sorted after the first or second time

also to be aware of: when doing this treatment method if fish seem distressed gasping at the surface or just showing up dead do a immediate 50% water change and discontinue treatment for a week also increase bubbles

good news about the treatment black beard will go and your plants will skyrocket their growth during the treatment time :)

also welcome to the forum!

you can put young angels in tho keep a eye on them as they may have to be moved out when they get bigger, there is a 50% chance they may decide your neions are a good food.

the gourmais wont be a problem. you can put most community fish in there and a few types of other fish in, i wouldn't go with the silver dollars tho, if you like there shape take a look at the red fin tetra its a bit smaller but looks similar (i could be wrong with the name it looks like a silver dollar but its a tetra with a high dorsal fin with red on the tip and doesn't grow as big)

Thanks have looked these up and they look beautiful!

with the black beard just taking the plants away wont help much at all best way to deal with that is get a black line flying fox that will eat the budding black beard but it wont eat any established black beard, very very few fish will eat established black beard as its quite a hard plant, the only reliable way to get rid of what is there is to do a double dose of flourish excel (has to be excel) its a method of treatment not mentioned on the bottle because if your tank doesn't have enough oxygen can cause the fish to die by raising the co2 content too high

so method of treatment: insure your tank has lots of bubbles, introduce your new black line flying fox fish :) (don't forget he will eat sinking pellets and dead fish) , double dose with flourish excel, 3 days later do a 30% water change and if necessary do another double dose of excel followed by another 30%water change 3 days later and continue this cycle as long as necessary tho most tanks will have it sorted after the first or second time

also to be aware of: when doing this treatment method if fish seem distressed gasping at the surface or just showing up dead do a immediate 50% water change and discontinue treatment for a week also increase bubbles

So I only need to make sure there's enough bubbles going before doing the treatment? Nothing else?

just needs to be heavily oxygenated water so the more bubbles the better but if you see them gasping the surface there wont be enough oxygen in the tank so do the 50% water change if you see that

also as a side note, might be a good idea to add some stabilizer (its a blue bottle you buy in the store) to the water when you move the tank just helps the fish keep happy by adding some bacteria to the tank, it wont be necessary but it will help diminish the amount of water you need from the old tank, if you follow the directions on the bottle its possible (but not recommended ,but i do do it when moving tanks or other special cases) to do 100% water changes

welcome newbie :wave:

To be honest, I have never had algae that came in on bought plants survive in my tank, I assume because in a different location the same conditions are not being replicated to their satisfaction. You have been given sound advice about how to get rid of the BBA but also considier that it may not thrive anyway as you won't be replicating the conditions exactly as before...different position in the house etc. Maybe wait and see if it tries to grow before doing anything??

• 1 month later...