Rift Lake Aquascape

Likoma

We have been commissioned to setup and stock a Rift Lake tank for a customer. The tank measures 200 x 70 x 70 and will be filtered with a 400lt sump and an FX5.

I was given free reign as to stocking and the aquascape. I wasn't able to visit the Malawian Lake bottom for inspiration. I did get to visit the Kaikoura coastline of the South Island of New Zealand and found plenty of inspiration.

P1030050_zps71437295.jpg

I spent a long time collecting rocks that were of the same type and varying sizes. We then measured out the dimensions of the aquarium on the ground and placed the rocks into formations within boundaries.

I would spend some time considering each placement until it just worked.

RiftLakeAquascapeTest_zpsc8c6d4c5.jpg

Once we were happy with design we started the process of placing the rocks into the aquarium. Not easy considering the waiting of two of the boulders (32kg).

RiftLakeAquascape_zps3ca784e2.jpg

The setup process is still going on. I will be connecting the plumbing for the sump in the next few days. I am very excited about it all.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I spent a fair amount of time in and around the Lake. I wish my memory was better.

I used my time in Kaikoura to really study the way boulders, roots and gravel interact in a natural way.

Ive got some photos taken when we were there last year if you want me to send you some.

Yes please. I was way to skint to own an underwater camera in my younger days.

My main aim of this scape was to create many separate territories in a small area.

Caves that have only one entrance.

While diving I noticed how tiny fish can fend off much larger opponents when ensconced in a non swim-though cave.

Breaking up line of sight will go a long way to achieve this. IE a cave on either side of the large boulders.

this is why you should not swim

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healthands ... harzia.htm

having been injected for pretty much everything else we were not keen to come down with anything like this. Despite all our precautions I did catch a bug, was pretty unwell for 2 weeks and it took another 7 for me to recover completely. Note the recommended treatment :o

Likoma I will send the pics through to you tonight, would you please pm me your email address as my photo size is very dense.

• 2 weeks later...