230 litre Malawi Cichlid aquarium

lotofish

Thought I would share some pictures of my Malawi cichlid tank. The layout is New Zealand moss rock with Anubias nana and silica sand. The fish include Melanochromis auratus, Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus demasoni and 2 Ancistrus. This is an experimental tank using New Zealand moss rock. This rock is soft so I was able to drill/chisel out caves and make them fit together. Before I could use them I boiled them, water blasted them, boiled them again and water blasted again. They look great in the tank like a natural rock formation. The tank has been running for 7 months and there is not sign that the rocks have affected the water conditions or inhabitants. Any one else had experience or tried to use the moss rocks?

Malawi08_zps174aa2ff.jpg

Malawi07_zps48ced751.jpg

Malawi06_zps4710558f.jpg

Malawi05_zps0639d689.jpg

Malawi04_zps6a5eab86.jpg

Malawi03_zps189fbffe.jpg

Malawi02_zps944407c9.jpg

Malawi01_zpsf7d4c4b8.jpg

Malawi11_zpsb3e3a27f.jpg

Malawi10_zps29ce6702.jpg

Malawi09_zpsc23e32a3.jpg

Thank you every one. I have 4 auratus in the tank. One male with the dark blue belly and one female currently carrying. Not sure about the other two. Initially I was only going to have auratus in the tank but my son loved the caeruleus and demasoni so it became a mixed tank. If you have a close look at the eighth pic down you can see the female who is carrying with her extended throat.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update...........

No Auratus fry to be seen. Might have become fish food.

I am planning to move these fellows plus a few more Malawi's into a larger aquarium.

Just purchased two second hand tanks, one 360L with stand and the other 310L with no stand.

Both need a little work cleaning and re-sealing.

One will become the new Malawi Cichlid aquarium and the other a temperate marine tank with jewel anemone.

Thats the plan anyway

• 3 months later...

This tank looks awesome. I wouldn't have boiled rocks, so maybe I need some education ?

I built a fibreglass background for my Cichlids, looks cool but did have a toxicity issue for a wee while. I'm a bit of a DIY hack n slash aye !!

Because these rock are very porous it is necessary to boil them and hope that you kill any bugs that live deep in the rock. I say hope because after water blasting and boiling I still had a silverfish pop out of one of the holes when it was submersed in the tank. Little guy tried to swim to safety but the :fshi: got him :happy2:

Because these rock are very porous it is necessary to boil them and hope that you kill any bugs that live deep in the rock. I say hope because after water blasting and boiling I still had a silverfish pop out of one of the holes when it was submersed in the tank. Little guy tried to swim to safety but the :fshi: got him :happy2:

why would you want to kill them by boiling? they are food for your fish haha