Koi Guppy

JaSa

I can almost guarantee that the imported fish will be in antibiotics all their life. I have no experience in fish but in another industry I have worked in overseas where antibiotics were all but banned (but not tested for) they were routinely used by some to treat both disease and prophylactically

No importer will be using antibiotics, that is guaranteed, because they are not allowed to use it.

As mentioned Guppies are susceptible to Iridoviruses., no antibiotics will help.

When importing fish, the importer wants to sell as much of their stock as possible. If they have a beautiful strand, that almost no-one else has, then they are likely to sell their whole batch.

If those fish are fertile, and breed easily (as guppies tend to do), then repeat sales will be low (due to local sales of next generation fish). If those fish are infertile, or have offspring that do not match the parents, then the importer is going to have a better chance at selling their next batch.

I doubt any main importer in NZ would really care. if the fish are fertile or infertile, they just sell them as is.

JaSa, it seem's you have an overly active temper and seeing you have no evidence behind your "Theory" i feel very little need to prove mine. Having been in 2 of the 3 industries you spoke of for a ten year period, i dare say i have more of a reference point then yourself. Not to mention there have been replies in this very thread from 2 importers. Find yourself an LFS that has been around as long as the hobby in NZ and ask them if the strains have become Weaker. Notice that the death toll on guppy's has a tendency to be higher than that of fancy tetras? Why? there both small? flight easily, guppy's require a neutral ph easily achieved fancy tetras preferring an acidic tannin stained environment i doubt you will find in any import/ quarantine. Why is there so many other species of line bred fish in NZ that don't have a death toll this high? they come through the same process?, maybe you should prove to me the effect's of stress over a diverse class of fish?. You may also want to note that the fish pictured carries the albino gene notably already a weakened fish.

Its easy to see why someone would have a problem with you considering the way your posts are articulated. You cannot say it is one thing or the other things and then belittle someone and expect a merry response. It is a combination of factors and always will be with imports! simple. DONE.

What does concern me is you say you have all this experience and have been in all these industries and yet you claim quarantine facilities don't specifically cater to the species of fish they import?

Another problem i have with your comparisons is you keep trying to equate things to each other that are a little finicky at the best of times. Guppys are cheaper and breed readily, actively and prolifically, than many fish, of course the death toll of these fish are going to be higher considering the species. If your going to compare a species of fish to another, compare all avenues, attributes and idiosyncrasies in order to establish true parameters.

Don't just turn up and troll someone over fish!

Hi, does anyone no where i can get some different types of guppies?? I currently have some Albino, Snakeskin, tuxedo and couple other cool looking ones ( not sure of breed ). Love to get some neons, mosaic, moscow, platnium. Anything that has amazing colour and tails.

you should put up your location details as this would help.

Livebearer breeder I think you are the one with the problem, you seem to just like trolling the forums looking for people to start an argument with, I think most posts I read of yours you are always questioning someones motives or reasoning trying to get a response. Do you need a cuddle?

Livebearer breeder I think you are the one with the problem, you seem to just like trolling the forums looking for people to start an argument with, I think most posts I read of yours you are always questioning someones motives or reasoning trying to get a response. Do you need a cuddle?

hahaha :gpo2: , if you were an american, you'd be a conservative huh. "NO QUESTIONS! keep things how they are, i don't want to hear it or be challenged because i said so and that's just how it is blah blah!"

And i would happily take a cuddle :thup: