A local marine set up,

livingart

Of the five surviving orders (major groups), four are represented in New Zealand: cuttlefish, squid, octopus and vampire squid. The group to which pearly or chambered Nautilus belong are absent from New Zealand waters, although their empty shells occasionally arrive on northern beaches, swept down from the Pacific on ocean currents.

thats from the Te Ara website.

2. The beak of number 2 was deposited in the Colonial Museum by Mr. A. Hamilton; the animal was captured at Cape Campbell by Mr. C. H. Robson, a member of this society, who very kindly furnished me with the following information. Writing on the 19th June, 1879, he says:—

“In reply to yours of the 12th, about the cuttlefish, I may state that, while stationed at Cape Campbell, I found several specimens of large size, all, however, more or less mutilated, except one, the beak of which I gave to Mr. Hamilton; it was alive, and quite perfect, the body being 7 feet long, eight sessile arms 8 feet long, and two tentacular arms 12 feet. I am, however, only writing from memory. Mr. Hamilton has the exact measurements, and I remember distinctly that the total length was close on 20 feet.”

The New Zealand squid fauna never has been monographed in entirety and accordingly is rather poorly known. We cannot attach a name to many of the species that occur in our waters — they could be new to science or simply species known from elsewhere that have yet to be recorded from our waters.
from AUT

Treasures of the sea.co.nz states that 3 species of sepiida have been observed in NZ waters but none are endemic

Crikey LA, I'm sure last summer at a large rockpool at Taurauga bay up here, i played with a large (25cm)cuttlefish for 10 mins or so, wasn't a common squid, wasn't a bobtail, buggered if ni know, wish i'd taken a pic of it.

Colour changes were incredible, and was very inquistive, like an octopus.

cuttlefish are a big problem. or rather, they were a big problem. cuttlefish farms are no longer permitted in new zealand's waters because some got loose and harmed some endangered prawn populations.

how true is this???

btw just found an internet page talking about how cuttlefish never stop .... hrmmm.... entertaining themselves.

Crikey LA, I'm sure last summer at a large rockpool at Taurauga bay up here, i played with a large (25cm)cuttlefish for 10 mins or so, wasn't a common squid, wasn't a bobtail, buggered if ni know, wish i'd taken a pic of it.

Colour changes were incredible, and was very inquistive, like an octopus.

I've finally figured out what tauranga bay was :oops:

yes there are a number of sightings of different species in our waters

but unless accompanied by other witness reports, photos and records they get considered anecdotal :dno:

had a few sightings dismissed because of this

kill it, bring in the body is acceptable though