UV Sterilizers - Need or Want?

s3xtcy

Ive been looking at alot of videos of saltwater setups, and Ive found that it seems to be quite 50/50 as to whether or not they have a UV Sterilizer,

My question is, is it necessary? And if it is, should I be running all the water between tank and sump through the filter, or should it be a smaller amount, say a recirculated amount in the sump, as to keep some of the good bacteria alive, rather than blasting it into oblivion?

In this video I see he has a very nice looking white UV filter, that looks like it was designed to use PVC connections, everything Ive seen at my LFS and on trademe looks cheap and has multifit hose connections that you clamp down with hose clamps (if at all!) Can anyone point me in the right direction of a decent UV filter, similar to this one preferably, that has the ability to have the PVC connections?

Thanks heaps :)

Video :

Time : 1:40 & 1:50

I also looked at get a uv filter for my tank.

They are very pricey as reef said. the LFS ones are a waste of money.

The proper one I looked at getting was around $700-$800.

I think I will spend this money on an upgrade to LEDs before this.

I will get one eventually but for now I will go without.

that was my thought, most UV units in ponds are rated for high flow but never get it, I know of 5w units rated for 3000LPH running fine with only 400LPH running through them,

Lower flow is not going to decrease the kill rate. Possibly the bulb might overheat, but I doubt that.