Loach skinny disease

Jaide

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aviverm is a 24% w/v solution of Levamisole hydrochloride (24 grams per 100mls). However, the manufacturer says that it contains between 20 - 30 grams per 100 millilitre of levamisole. This is 200-300 milligrams per millilitre of Aviverm solution. At a dose of 2mg per litre of tank water* this is 1ml per 100L of tank water, rounding up (in other words assuming the medication is a minimum of 200mg/ml, so the maximum dose would be 2.5mg/L).

That is about 0.1ml per 10 litres of tank water so for a 200 litre tank, you would add 2mls of Aviverm doing a large water change after 12-24 hours (or add activated carbon to the filter). Repeat for three treatments.

If I were you, I would treat with praziquantel and levamisole. I would not treat with a drug that has them premixed for other species since the dosage of each is different for fish.

* Carpenter, J.W., Exotic Animal Formulary 3rd ed.

Levamisole:

Internal nematodes 1-2mg/L x 24 hr bath; or, 10mg/kg PO q7d x 3 treatments. Wear gloves when handling.

External treamatodes 50mg/L x 2 hr bath; or, 4 g/kg feed q7d x 3 treatments. Wear gloves when handling.

Praziquantel:

5-10mg/L x 3-6 hr bath, repeat in 7 days. Take care when treating Corydoras catfish.

Aviverm is a 24% w/v solution of Levamisole hydrochloride (24 grams per 100mls). However, the manufacturer says that it contains between 20 - 30 grams per 100 millilitre of levamisole. This is 200-300 milligrams per millilitre of Aviverm solution. At a dose of 2mg per litre of tank water* this is 1ml per 100L of tank water, rounding up (in other words assuming the medication is a minimum of 200mg/ml, so the maximum dose would be 2.5mg/L).

That is about 0.1ml per 10 litres of tank water so for a 200 litre tank, you would add 2mls of Aviverm doing a large water change after 12-24 hours (or add activated carbon to the filter). Repeat for three treatments.

If I were you, I would treat with praziquantel and levamisole. I would not treat with a drug that has them premixed for other species since the dosage of each is different for fish.

* Carpenter, J.W., Exotic Animal Formulary 3rd ed.

Levamisole:

Internal nematodes 1-2mg/L x 24 hr bath; or, 10mg/kg PO q7d x 3 treatments. Wear gloves when handling.

External treamatodes 50mg/L x 2 hr bath; or, 4 g/kg feed q7d x 3 treatments. Wear gloves when handling.

Praziquantel:

5-10mg/L x 3-6 hr bath, repeat in 7 days. Take care when treating Corydoras catfish.

Right, so another bottle of Avitrol plus then?

I would not treat with a drug that has them premixed for other species since the dosage of each is different for fish.

Best to see if you can buy them seperately if the mixtures are not as Jennifer suggested below. A mixture appropriate for birds may not be useful for fish. Aviverm isn't a mixture so if you can get that by itself it's a start.