roof tiles clean?

henward

ok, house has roof tiles, those concrete type things that over lap each other, not metal.

just wondering, do they emit nasties?

they are painted brown as well i think or at least they look brown.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/resid ... 680242.htm

if you look at the pictures, will that type of roof be ok if the water run off from it goes itno a tank and for aquariums?

i think you'll have more issues with bird poop or what ever else is in your gutters than the tiles leaching anything.

We are on tank water so drink the water off the and the fish also get that water, no issues and our house is also close to the gravel road we live on.

The tiles shouldnt leach anything, but if it does it will be just a little bit of lime, same as old concrete tanks, but it doesnt pose any major risk to fish apart from raising the pH slightly.

The bigger problem is the nitrates given off by dirt in your tank (leaves, bird poo, etc.).

i think you'll have more issues with bird poop or what ever else is in your gutters than the tiles leaching anything.

We are on tank water so drink the water off the and the fish also get that water, no issues and our house is also close to the gravel road we live on.

yeah true,

so is fish poo run off a problem?

should i filter the water first?

or not use it for fish water then?

yeah true,

so is fish poo run off a problem?

should i filter the water first?

or not use it for fish water then?

Pretty sure fish poo isn't instantly lethal in a tank :)

I grew up on tank water and used it in many fish tanks. We had a filter hooked up to pull out any nasties. Worth doing for yourself and your fish

Sweet looking place! Do I spy a downstairs concrete-floored tank room??!! :thup:

I think as Smidey said the only thing to worry about is how clean the water tank and gutters are. First thing to do is to test the water, but I'm guessing it will be fine (I was using roof water for my tank while staying at Mum&Dads and despite their cat crapping all over the roof the water in the tank still had no detectable ammonia/nitrite/nitrate). Rain water is very soft tho, and you may need to use crushed shell/coral to help buffer, and/or dose with calcium/baking soda etc during water changes. Can nearly be treated the same as RO water, water from my tank has around 6ppm TDS, so virtually nothing!

Sweet looking place! Do I spy a downstairs concrete-floored tank room??!! :thup:

I think as Smidey said the only thing to worry about is how clean the water tank and gutters are. First thing to do is to test the water, but I'm guessing it will be fine (I was using roof water for my tank while staying at Mum&Dads and despite their cat crapping all over the roof the water in the tank still had no detectable ammonia/nitrite/nitrate). Rain water is very soft tho, and you may need to use crushed shell/coral to help buffer, and/or dose with calcium/baking soda etc during water changes. Can nearly be treated the same as RO water, water from my tank has around 6ppm TDS, so virtually nothing!

Yes indeed, you do spy a concrete slab floor rumpus:D that rumpus is bigger than a double garage, AND the ceiling is into the house so will retain heat well:D

IF i end up buying it, i will turn the downstairs int o a 'henward den'

2x lazy boys

huge tank/s

locust breeding again

mealworm farm

:D

lazy boy is from parents old suite, so might as well lol

dont have a problem treating rain water, recalling, i cant drill a hole on the concrete wall lol so cant have auto changer, so will be a semi auto change.

i will still do the sump drain thing, but will attach to a large bore hose and take it to the storm rain by the rumpus and pump fresh new water into the tank and drain like i am doing now,

maybe invest in a stronger pump to quickly pump water through from drum to tank, no biggie.

I figure, 3000 to 3600litre system total, the stocking is less than half of my 1200litre, i thin i can get away with a small wc a week! nitrate concentrations will be low due to the volume and low stockig. Dont mind a semi manual change 1x a week, 2x even for when i decide to go nuts with feeding and growint out:D

Good point Alan, might want to test out the water in the tank with something cheaper than Brutus first...

Here's an idea that might help with the Auto-wc system; have pump in sump and a float valve to top it off with a gravity feed or from the tap.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ted-system!

so its a reverse one of mine, instead of pumping water INTO the tank and letting it drain, they p ump water out and let it fill with the ball valve thing.

i dont trust them lol i have one n the drum, and its always over flowing lol, doesnt seal properly. maybe its the mains pressure?