350L NZ Marine

hovmoller

Ok time to finally show this tank.

Tank has been "brewing" for around 4 months (ingredients: Coral Sand, Coral Rock & Seawater) and finally this weekend I introduced the first inhabitants to the tank. 1 Triplefin, 4 Shrimp, 5 Snails and some tiny Chitons. All collected from inside "The Keyhole" at South Piha, West Auckland.

This has got to be the most fun I've had in fishkeeping for many years! :happy1:

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Looks cool, what else are you intending on keeping in there?

Anemones, more small fish, whatever grows on the rocks, starfish perhaps..

have you found any jewel anemones locally yet???

I haven't been snorkling for stuff yet.. only picking stuff off walls inside a cave, hehe.

There are lots of other kinds of Anemones on the west coast in all sorts of colours but yes I would love to find some jewels.

Looks good!! Can't wait to see how it evolved. I love the idea of going out and collecting bits and pieces for a tank, I really must have a go at this one day. What sort of lighting are you running? Am I right in thinking natives generally don't require the same intense lighting of a tropical reef tank as most of the inhabitants don't photosynthesise?

If you ever come for a snorkel up towards Leigh, give me a yell, i know a few spots with heaps of life. Spotted a few nudibranchs in less than a meter of water too.

Black triple fins would be cool too, and baby leatherjackets :) Heaps of fry around lately also.

Cool.. I assume you mean outside the reserve :wink:

Sneaked in with a flashlight last night and one of the Painted Prawns had just released a snowstorm of little babies.

I suppose they don't really stand a chance being sucked through pumps several times and in any case they won't have much food avaliable to them..

Anyone had same experience?

Getting NSW 1000L at a time may be a bit of a hassle!!

You've certainly reignited my interest in doing a tank like this Thomas, I'll try treat it as motivation to get my big tank done so I can convert the smaller one rather than as a complete distraction. I'm looking forward to seeing updates on this tank.

• 2 weeks later...
What is that in the background of the second pic??

They're pretty nice pics, when are we going to see some like that of your FW fish?! :P

Second pic has a painted prawn and a small rock with some seaweed kinda growth on it (turfing pink paint Corallina officinalis I think) in the background.

Yeah I should really pay more attention to my FW fish... they are looking good though.. especially the G. altifrons I got are looking so nice now that they are growing up.

Ok will work on a thread with my FW fishies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...