Guppies rubbing themselves on the gravel

HummingBird

Mine seem to sit on the bottom in the breeding tank. Is this normal, feeding time and they're all action..Been like this for say a month and they are still shooting them out. Seems to be the males mostly.

Mine seem to sit on the bottom in the breeding tank. Is this normal, feeding time and they're all action..Been like this for say a month and they are still shooting them out. Seems to be the males mostly.

Please explain better, i dont quiet understand?

I've noticed a few of my guppies have been rubbing themselves on the gravel, they'll turn sideways and swim down and back up really quick. I know this can't be good, does anyone have any idea why they're doing this/what I can do to fix it (if it is bad)?

Sounds like they have Ich!

Treat them with some Malkon blue or white spot medicine....that usually does the trick....it's quite easy to get rid of!

First of all DO NOT treat them with any medicine! this i have found is normal behavour in males, not nessecarily females, without evedince of sickness, such as physical appearance or swimming difficultys, you shoudl not treat with any kind of medication, Find out the problem then treat the fish. Personaly i dont know how somone can diagnose an illness as ich, when it has been described as a behavioural feature not one of sickness, sugestion at most if really worried, do a water change and add a bit of tonic salt. as always with livebearers, if they contract ich then you should treat with salt not other medications, salt is more natural and they live in a highish silinity quite nicley. All my livebearer tanks are "salted" so to speak.

Shae

Nothing wrong with fish it just seems that the males sit on the bottom some times having a rest. Not concerned as they are fine the rest of the time chasing the females around and eating well. Just thought I'ld mention it and from "livebearer breeded" reply seems to be common..

Usually when fish flick on objects it is a sign of unfavourable water conditions that are causing irritation to the fish, either on the gills or body, possibly ammonia etc..

Often a few good water changes will sort the prob out.

Many also claim it is a sign that WS (ick) is on its way, so the fish will need close monitoring just in case :)

Bill.