HELP - Killing snails

Ymir

I have tried trapping the #%^& and even brought some YOyo's, which kind of worked (they controlled the population up to a certain density). However I am $^(%^$& sick of snails and it is time for them to die.

Going down the chemical path now! :an!gry :an!gry

Who recommends what?

non copper method.....

step 1:- empty tank

step 2:- hose out tank with high pressure hose

step 3:- buy brand new gravel that has been steralised

step 4:- start your tank from scratch

step 5:- in about 2 months try and work out where the snails came from.

personally if you have a few loaches keeping them under control, they are actually quite useful as they keep the gravel clean down to the bottom. plus free food for the loaches.

non copper method.....

step 1:- empty tank

step 2:- hose out tank with high pressure hose

step 3:- buy brand new gravel that has been steralised

step 4:- start your tank from scratch

step 5:- in about 2 months try and work out where the snails came from.

personally if you have a few loaches keeping them under control, they are actually quite useful as they keep the gravel clean down to the bottom. plus free food for the loaches.

Mmmm, I was going to suggest something similar, except leaving the substrate to dry completely, then rinsing it in small batches to get rid of the shells. Boiling (or pouring boiling water into it) will have similar results but will be quicker. Don't forget to clean all the snails and eggs out of the filter.

Loaches will only work if the tank is a suitable size for them.

Whatever method you choose, this is a good reminder to be vigilant about what you put in your tank and where it comes from. Snails can be a massive pain to get rid of. My preferred method would be starting the tank from scratch, and you can easily get it done in a day.