Hardy fish to start my Aquarium?

frameaj1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These ones looked happy as Larry in the lfs, she did however put them in a net and walk to the other side of the store to put them in water, I thought that was a bit weird. Why not just have the bag right beside the tank :dunno:

Hmm. that's not good. She should have bagged the fish with the water they were in.

Oh no she did use the same water, but filled the bag and took it over to a sink. Then came back and scooped the fish out ..

That could cause stress, but it shouldn't be enough to kill all of them.

How long has your tank been set up? Sorry, might have missed that in the thread.

EDIT oh, I see it's only been up and running for a week. Personally, I wouldn't be adding fish at this point. Give it a couple of weeks and test for nitrate. When nitrate shows up, it's probably ok to start SLOWLY stocking.

Thanks, I'm going to make sure it's perfect this time. Also maybe buy a whole water test kit.

Honestly you don't use ammonia or nitrite once the tank is cycled, so I'd just worry about nitrate. Once you start seeing levels, you're probably ok to add fish. Take some water to your local petstore and they should happily test for ammonia and nitrite - if nothing shows, you're good to go - but slow!

I followed LFS advice on my first tank , and my 5 neons died within 24 hours -

Then, I got completely different advice from the same shop the next week which resulted in my one and only Ich problem.

I thought it was odd because it was a well known and respected shop which everyone knows.

Now I just put water in a tank.

Get hold of some cycled media from a friend for the filter - or if no media available, squeeze a friends filter sponge into a fish bag with some of his water then pour into new tank.

Add water conditioner - generously.

Wait 2 days then add fish.

Haven't lost any fish since using that method except for the occasional natural death maybe once every few months.

I also know a guy who puts the hose straight into his tank, fills it, adds fish the next day. No water conditioner, no quick start, nothing. He's lost 1 fish in the last 8 months.

I followed LFS advice on my first tank , and my 5 neons died within 24 hours -

Then, I got completely different advice from the same shop the next week which resulted in my one and only Ich problem.

I thought it was odd because it was a well known and respected shop which everyone knows.

Now I just put water in a tank.

Get hold of some cycled media from a friend for the filter - or if no media available, squeeze a friends filter sponge into a fish bag with some of his water then pour into new tank.

Add water conditioner - generously.

Wait 2 days then add fish.

Haven't lost any fish since using that method except for the occasional natural death maybe once every few months.

I also know a guy who puts the hose straight into his tank, fills it, adds fish the next day. No water conditioner, no quick start, nothing. He's lost 1 fish in the last 8 months.

Mmm, I never *actually* test water either. If I'm cycling from scratch, I wait a few weeks, otherwise I do water changes, large and often (40%/day) for a couple of weeks. Never had a death from a cycling issue.

I only test If i see something strange, or just to be sure during cycling.

then again, i'm dropping 50 odd fish into a 100L tank on a regular basis. :P

I always use TLC live bacteria just in case for large stockings and never had an ammonia spike. (Worst case was 3 weeks ago with 75 feeder fish into a 130L tank, got a nitrite reading of 0.5ppm at the worst.

Just reading your thread again, I think the problem is your water still. Are you using tank water ie. rain water? If so, you'll need to add some minerals to it to make it suitable for the fish. In the same way marine fish keepers make up marine water starting with RO or distilled water.