Freshwater shrimp

lmsmith

I'm going to be buying a few freshwater shrimp to put in my 22ish litre tank. Does anyone know what the cheap greyish ones are from petshops?

I don't know much about them except that they're cool.

What can you tell me about freshwater shrimp? School me!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illegal to sell native freshwater shrimp, legal to catch and keep native freshwater shrimp. No other freshwater shrimp are allowed into New Zealand as far as I know.

If they are non native FW shrimp then I'd be very interested.

Illegal to sell native freshwater shrimp, legal to catch and keep native freshwater shrimp. No other freshwater shrimp are allowed into New Zealand as far as I know.

If they are non native FW shrimp then I'd be very interested.

I'll take some pics when I get them. I've seen them around in welly for at least the last year or so.

Once you get them, we can advise you on them. I'm 99% sure they're NZ FW shrimp, in which case they require temperatures below 20 degrees to thrive.

They're being kept in tropical conditions now. Hmm. I'll get some good pics and we can go from there!

yes, if there is nothing else

but I would have to ask why you would bother paying for something tat is living in ust about every creek/stormwater drain in your area.

also then you would not be breaking the law

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell, not buy. That's usually how the law works with sale of restricted things.

So you don't get your feet wet??

How much are these guys?

$3 each. My time is more valuable than that - I'm simply not interested in spending an hour wading in a stream looking for shrimp.

hrmmm, when I asked about it I got 3 different responses,

1:- absiolutely fine to sell without a licence

2:- required a licence unless they are tank bred

3:-you may not sell them at all...

I decided not to sell them as there is a law stating that you may not sell any new zealand aquatic creature or something like that (this was in a thread a while back about the trademe sales)

but if the guys in the places where we should be asking for help don't know how is anyone else supposed to know.

hrmmm, when I asked about it I got 3 different responses,

1:- absiolutely fine to sell without a licence

2:- required a licence unless they are tank bred

3:-you may not sell them at all...

I decided not to sell them as there is a law stating that you may not sell any new zealand aquatic creature or something like that (this was in a thread a while back about the trademe sales)

but if the guys in the places where we should be asking for help don't know how is anyone else supposed to know.

Do we know for sure importing is illegal?