Water hardness, help me get it up!

Barnacle

Hi all!

I have rainwater as my water supply, and the ph in my tanks is 6 or below virtually all the time. I've tested the hardness, and as expected it does not exist. What hardness would you recommend i keep my tank at and what would you say is the best way to acheive it? I've read it can be done with calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate...

A Ph of 6.5-7 would be suitable... And for it to stay there. At the moment im only do water changes because the ph is getting too low. Nitrates are always hovering very low around the 5ppm mark, so i can afford to leave the tank longer between water changes, Also with summer around the corner it'd be nice to save a bit of water too.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Rainbows will like it a bit harder than most of the others, but shoot for around neutral pH and moderate hardness. How are your plants doing with the low mineral content? Do you have a TDS meter?

I've been using calcium and baking soda to try bump up my hardness (also on rainwater) but because of the large quantity of wood in the tank its fairly difficult. Might look at adding some crushed shell, or perhaps some beach sand. This link might be some help to you; http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

How are your plants doing with the low mineral content? Do you have a TDS meter?

I've been using calcium and baking soda to try bump up my hardness (also on rainwater) but because of the large quantity of wood in the tank its fairly difficult. Might look at adding some crushed shell, or perhaps some beach sand. This link might be some help to you; http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

Plants are growing really well.

No TDS meter... its the 1st I've ever heard of one haha.

I'll crush up some scallop shells and pop them in the filter. Apparently they are 98% calcium carbonate, and good eating too!

Thanks for the tips :)

No, they really eat it. I can see them every now and then having a go at the grit pieces. But sure it disolves as well...

I have a golf ball size amount in the back of the HMF in a little bag and add a tea spoon of it every four weeks to the sand. This is for a 50L tank.

JaSa

What hardness level does that keep your tank at? I guess i might need about a handfull in the filter. Its a 200L tank

5-ish gH after a few days with a BIG waterchange. Smaller changes more frequent keep it more even around that mark I figured. Doing ~20% weekly now.

Think it depends on the filter. If you have lots of water flowing through the level might be higher and get there quicker. As I said I have it behind the HMF and that one slowly filters the water. But then the contact time here with the grit is longer so could be the other way round? Try&Error I guess...

JaSa

I'm on tank water as well, but mine comes out of the tap at 7.

I have a bag of oyster shells in my filter because of the non-existant hardness, and I also dose my tank with Seachem Equilibrium every water change.

I had my tank running well in the previous house we were in on town water, and after moving to this house I was getting regular random deaths with no apparent cause, after much hair pulling and research I found the lack of trace minerals in the rainwater could be the culprit, so I started adding the Equilibrium and the random

deaths have stopped 8)

With the ph coming out of the tap so low in your case I would be worried about any copper pipes that were in the house too! water tank might need a clean out to sort the ph, I've heard of people putting a concrete block in their water tanks to try and harden the water slightly too.

I'm on tank water as well, but mine comes out of the tap at 7.

I have a bag of oyster shells in my filter because of the non-existant hardness, and I also dose my tank with Seachem Equilibrium every water change.

I had my tank running well in the previous house we were in on town water, and after moving to this house I was getting regular random deaths with no apparent cause, after much hair pulling and research I found the lack of trace minerals in the rainwater could be the culprit, so I started adding the Equilibrium and the random

deaths have stopped 8)

With the ph coming out of the tap so low in your case I would be worried about any copper pipes that were in the house too! water tank might need a clean out to sort the ph, I've heard of people putting a concrete block in their water tanks to try and harden the water slightly too.

Sorry the water come out of the tank at 7, but my fishtank lowers the ph fast.

What you say about the traceminerals is quite interesting actually, i might look into that a bit more. I have had the odd unexplained death lately... but i figured these things just happen, everything expires.

Thanks gives me a few things to works from, I'll update when i see some results :)