OMG......Juwel Cabinet

terry17

After some initial research and great help from people here, I kind of diceided the size of my new tank - around 300L.

I need the tank to be reasonably good looking as it will be an important feature for our new house. I also want it to have a cover on the top.

So, Juwel Rio 300 came up top of my list - nice looking, good German quality, and currently on special of around $1400

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Product ... 0000007300

I know that I really dont like the built-in internal filter, so I will take it out and sell it on trademe..

I am thinking of a FX5 or CF2700UV, which are both very good for this size tank and within budget ($600 max for filter)

So far so good, looks like I nearly gear up.

I went to the shop today, and found that the bl00dy Juwel cabinet is only 29.5cm wide, neither the FX5 nor the CF2700 will fit as they are about 33cm dia.......and the wife does not allow me to put the filter outside the cabinet....

Great........

So that left me with these options

1. Use a Eheim Pro 3 2075 instead, which cost $600+ =====> would it be enough for a 300L? (a 2080 will not fit also), anyone used it on similar size tank?

2. Buy other tanks come with larger cabinet - Anyone got any suggestions?

- I found one Aqua One Aquience 1200 RT - which might fit the FX5 and CF2700 and HFF quote me $1400!! (yes, same price as the Juwel)

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... and/m/925/

3. Run two CF1200s, which will be my last choice coz too many hoses, use up both sides of the cabinet space. I need one side to put other gears......

4. Your thoughts please?

So my plan is falling apart >_<

Thanks for your input again :-)

Hehe this is funny but my first tank here in NZ was your option 1. A juwel rio 300 with an Eheim 2075 on it. It worked great. That filter is so good and quiet and I think it's rated for 600L so more than enough as long as you don't overstock.

I wanted a base that fit better with our other furniture so I had a sort of a cupboard unit custom made to fit the tank (stained pine. Around $400 from memory)

Have a look here:

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=*NR&c=207502&t=temartic_e&userid=g39dfuAUtFXff0F0b1kUwFMOvYBP303vHMX

Comes to NZD 316 incl. shipping to NZ

Hollywoods has a price matching policy so you could try to ask them if they can match that price. If not then buy it from Germany only difference is the euro plug

Have a look here:

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=*NR&c=207502&t=temartic_e&userid=g39dfuAUtFXff0F0b1kUwFMOvYBP303vHMX

Hollywoods has a price matching policy so you could try to ask them if they can match that price. If not then buy it from Germany only difference is the euro plug

Thank you very much. I will have a look into it :-)

Have a look here:

Have u got one from euro before? I asked the website the question if their unit works for nz power voltage and frequency.

:sml1: :sml1: :sml1: :sml1: :sml1: :sml1: :sml1:

thank was funny.

I doubt they have the margins to match overseas pricing.

Your thoughts please?

Could you not use eheim 2073 of eheim classic.

I doubt it really matters if you get a smaller filter as once the tank is established the bacteria in the Tank will break down waste.

To me $1400 sounds like an awful lot for a 300L tank and cabinet. Have you priced up a glass tank and custom cabinet and hood? I'd say someone like Greg/tanks2u could do a tank of that size for <$400 leaving you over a grand to spend on the stand/hood.

[may be different if you're not in Auckland, but you don't have your location set so....]

As for HFF matching the price of the imported filter, I wonder if they're even able to buy it for that much.....

don't forget the approximate $47 gst you have to pay to customs when it comes into the country, and also you may be liable for an import entry transaction fee of around $38, . so add around $85 to the total, and they have the right to hold it until you have paid them (plus a bit longer for red tape)

and if you annoy them enough they might even fumigate it for you, not the best idea for a filter.

ime importing is not as easy as it seems, and they seem to be tightening up a bit

To me $1400 sounds like an awful lot for a 300L tank and cabinet. Have you priced up a glass tank and custom cabinet and hood? I'd say someone like Greg/tanks2u could do a tank of that size for <$400 leaving you over a grand to spend on the stand/hood.

[may be different if you're not in Auckland, but you don't have your location set so....]

As for HFF matching the price of the imported filter, I wonder if they're even able to buy it for that much.....

Thanks I will check with him again but I think he can only do wooden hood? Is there anyone who can do PVC hood?

and yeah....HFF cant beat price of oversea website.....the cheapest they can sell a 2075 is around $600.....

Thanks I will check with him again but I think he can only do wooden hood? Is there anyone who can do PVC hood?

You could try Mulfords Plastics if you want something made from acrylic or pvc, any reason why you'd prefer that to timber? Greg is just a tank maker, but he may be able to recommend someone who makes stands/cabinets, and try HFF too. Might be worth looking around for a small wood worker or cabinet maker and seeing what they'd charge to make something up.

don't forget the approximate $47 gst you have to pay to customs when it comes into the country, and also you may be liable for an import entry transaction fee of around $38, . so add around $85 to the total, and they have the right to hold it until you have paid them (plus a bit longer for red tape)

and if you annoy them enough they might even fumigate it for you, not the best idea for a filter.

ime importing is not as easy as it seems, and they seem to be tightening up a bit

Thanks. Does the custom contact you if you need to pay tax?

Another thing I guess is the warranty, it might need to be shipped back to Gemany for repair if I buy it from a German website, while I could just take it back to HFF is I get it here...

That is always the downside to buying from overseas websites vs buying local. Its your call as to whether the price difference justifies it, either you want something so cheap you're happy to throw it away or something top quality that isn't likely to let you down, and Eheim certainly fits into the latter category, especially when you can nearly buy two from ze Germans for the same price as one locally....

It's only when you spend over NZD 400 that you might have to pay gst to customs. And don't believe that rubbish about fumigation and extra fees. But don't buy any medication overseas cos they will most likely hold that until you can prove you have a licence or something like that.

Yes I have bought Eheim pumps from that site before and all you need is a 50 cent plug adaptor.

And yes you have to decide whether a local warranty is worth the extra money.

Good luck with everything

You could try Mulfords Plastics if you want something made from acrylic or pvc, any reason why you'd prefer that to timber? Greg is just a tank maker, but he may be able to recommend someone who makes stands/cabinets, and try HFF too. Might be worth looking around for a small wood worker or cabinet maker and seeing what they'd charge to make something up.

I havent used a timber hood before. I am just a bit worry about the timber will get wet all the time, so would it deform or mould or anything?

It's only when you spend over NZD 400 that you might have to pay gst to customs. And don't believe that rubbish about fumigation and extra fees. But don't buy any medication overseas cos they will most likely hold that until you can prove you have a licence or something like that.

Yes I have bought Eheim pumps from that site before and all you need is a 50 cent plug adaptor.

And yes you have to decide whether a local warranty is worth the extra money.

Good luck with everything

Cheers

mate...how long did it take to ship to you last time?

They are not the fastest. 3 weeks max I'd say.

When u browse that website it's only when you are logged in and have set your location to be New Zealand that the prices are shown without German gst. Makes a big difference. Also it will show you shipping cost as you add things