November 2, 201213 yr comment_506399 Tank is a RSM 130 2x blue/green chromis 1x Naso Tang 1x cleaner shrimp 1x linckia starfish 1x RBTA various corals etc. Today at midday I noticed my Naso Tang lying in the back of the tank. I thought he was dead so gave him a nudge and he swam out around the tank ad then settled down in the back again against a rock and seemed to be resting. My fist reaction was to do a water change fast. So changed 20% of water (forgetting to save some for tests) And I had to get back to work. I cam home at 5.30 and noticed he was still in the back of the tank. He seen me come to the tank and he came out like he always does expecting food. He is now swimming around the tank all wobbly and looks dazed. He has gone dark with the usual gray spots when they are stressed. So I did water tests on the tank now I had time. Ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate 0.0 pH 8.2 Phosphate 2.0 - 5.0 Only thing I have done different since I added him 3 weeks ago is a 150mm dia Brain coral last Saturday. After close inspection of the Tang when he stopped in a corner I think I can make out tiny white spots on his fins and possibly on his body. If it is Ich then the spots are a LOT smaller than what I am use to on freshwater fish. So small I wouldn't even have considered is as Ich Would Ich cause my Tang to be acting like this or is it something else? Some advise would be very helpful as all this marine stuff is new to me and I don't have a lot of experience. Report
November 2, 201213 yr comment_506404 I've read similar symtoms to fish caught with cyanide, but it is similar to what happened when my blue tang was riddled with ich, I just rode it through Report
November 2, 201213 yr comment_506405 could be ich or possibly velvet keep your parameters good over the years have tried a lot of things as mf4l said i just ride it out now and keep stress levels down on the fish Report
November 2, 201213 yr Author comment_506419 I don't think it is velvet as it isn't showing velvet symptoms. Breathing is slow. The fish is just lying there now, I want to do something but I don't know what. I hope it doesn't die tonight if I just wait and ride it out. Report
November 2, 201213 yr comment_506423 as soon as you net fish out to treat it you up the stress levels if you don't have any treatments available there is not much you can do anyway except a water change Report
November 2, 201213 yr Author comment_506427 Yes it looks quite stressed already. I definitely think it is Ich now having a closer look at it. I have read about a freshwater dip to help relieve the Ich, it kills the Ich on the fish and gives the fish a chance to recover if put into QT. However it would get infected straight away again if I put it back in my tank. Has anyone got experience with this? Report
November 2, 201213 yr comment_506446 I had Ich on my Coral beauty angel. No treatment was needed as the cleaner shrimps did their job and cleaned it up. Report
November 2, 201213 yr Author comment_506497 Well the fish is dead this morning. Looks to be Ich got the best of it. hundreds of tiny shiny dots on it. Could that be velvet? Ive read velvet attacks the gills first and by the time you see it on the body it can be too late. But the fish wasn't breathing heavily like the symptoms say it should have. Report
November 2, 201213 yr comment_506499 bummer depending on the individual fishes physiology symptoms can express differently usually by the time we notice something is wrong with a fish it is an advanced stage catching and moving them just adds more stress which can lower their immune system even further it takes awhile for either disease to develop and show on fish keep your eye on the rest of fish and keep water parameters good Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.