Hill-stream loach tank: advice needed

calculator

I have a empty 150L tank (1.2*0.3*0.4) that I want to set up as a high flow hill stream loach tank, something like this: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59465

I am thinking use a set up somthing like this:rivertank_manifold_02_zps1bc8eeff.jpg

I was also thinking that I would have a canister filter pumping water out of one end and in at the other to provide filtration.

I was wondering what sort of turn over rates do I would I need for the pumps, and filter, how many loaches do you think should be stocked in the tank, and are there any other small fishes that I could stock with them?

Thanks for advice in advance.

I would say that 3000 l/h is the min for a real good flow across the bottom, and by the time it gets to the end of a 1200 long tank there wont be the same flow across the bottom. I would use a spraybar of some type to spread the flow more evenly across the width of the tank and keep it as close to the bottom as you can. I extended the return pipe on mine so that the spraybar is only about 30-40mm off the bottom of the tank and is sitting on the rocks.

Tank mates, well at the moment I have about 1/2 a dozen blond guppies that are growing up and 3 inangia

unfortunately the heater in my hill-stream tank got turned off while the tank was out in the shed over winter and I lost at least 3 of the loaches in it &c:ry

I was intending on creating a spray bar, for that reason, and will probably have the pumps at the end that draws the water, I just forgot to say that, since the tank is long maybe I will go with stronger water flow and do more the one spray bar at a different hight so the water in the tank moves better.

I would like some of the NZ native fish that like fast water, I just dont think I will get them as my skill of catching wild fish is non existent, and wouldnt know what and where to catch.

Thats a shame, how many did you have in your tank?

I will be using a external filter like that but mainly using it for filtration then water movement. In terms of the cost of setting up a tank (very important to me as I am a poor student) It is alot cheaper to buy a couple of pond pumps then a external canister filter that moves the same amount of water.

Have you got any idea on how fast you would like the water moving? I imagine you would want the whole body of water flowing as opposed to 2 jets moving fast. In order to get the high volume flow require, you'd need some kind of axial flow pump... Much like what we know as wavemakers with the small rc boat propellers inside them. Maybe duct them through some pipe under the gravel to the other side of the tank? I'll see if i can whip something up on the computer to show what i mean.

As for filtration, jsut a regular external filter will be fine... Wou will save money using a high volume pump (or two) + regular filter vs. Very high volume filter.

I'm making a similar kind of thing for university for my final year project... a tidal flow simulation tank. It would actually make for an idea hill stream tank :P variable flow up to 1m/s.

Have you got any idea on how fast you would like the water moving? I imagine you would want the whole body of water flowing as opposed to 2 jets moving fast. In order to get the high volume flow require, you'd need some kind of axial flow pump... Much like what we know as wavemakers with the small rc boat propellers inside them. Maybe duct them through some pipe under the gravel to the other side of the tank? I'll see if i can whip something up on the computer to show what i mean.

I would like all the water moving fast, not just jets, which is why I shall plumb them out of spray bars instead of just using jets.

I think I understand what you mean, but if you could show I quick diagram it would be very helpful thank you.

Are you talking about using somthing like this: http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/tunze-nanostream-6045/m/966/ to move that water around?

I'm making a similar kind of thing for university for my final year project... a tidal flow simulation tank. It would actually make for an idea hill stream tank :P variable flow up to 1m/s.

That sounds interesting, what are you studying, and what will be happening to the tank after you finish?

I think I know what Barnacle is on about, when I get the 3D background of my 430L made it will have 3 inch pipes to take the water from one end (at the top with a grid and sponge over the end) to the bottom at the other where there will be a variable 15000 l/h and one or two 5000 l/h wavemakers. this will be for my bullies and the 4 adult torrentfish - the kokopu should be ok in the mid to upper water and behind their driftwood. This will be in 1200x600x600.

If you have the pumps in the water they will add a lot of heat to the system

That sounds interesting, what are you studying, and what will be happening to the tank after you finish?

I have just made a short vid of the current riffle tank setup.

The pump is a 3200 l/h aquaone

tank is a 2x1x1 ft

the only filter in here is the 'sock' on the pump intake

Sorry about the cloudy water, I just cleaned the 'sock' over the intake so the turnover is much improved and has lifted all the gunk off the bottom.

Edit:- updated link: