Wall tank project advice (bracing advice please)

mcrudd

I would be very careful about a 6mm tank that high, even if it was braced more.

What I would be tempted to do is to only fill it 1/2-ish and have the top planted, search for riparium

Something like:

1_hans701.jpg

or

Riparium-3-Devin.gif

Yeah we got a pretty big fright when it bowed like that. Was suprised it did not burst open. I will show hubby your pics, that looks very cool

edit. Just showed Hubby and he was super impressed with the first pic, looks like you got his attention :thup:

So what type of fish for a Riparium?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hell yeah all the way

that looks awesome!!!!!!!

why not do a NZ native tank, maybe even a torrent fish tank with native riparian plants...

a native tank is super tempting, especially since I read Stella's book every spare minute I have, but because of that I know it won't work :( I will never be able to keep the tank at its required temp cause Beachlands get pretty warm, I always freeze bottles of pump water in summer and have my aquaminder warn me when the temp goes over 28 degrees. But that would be super duper awesome

time to start hunting for chiller unit for cheap

Been looking for one for a while, but they aint come cheap and if they do I always get outbid grrrr. But I could look out for one, why not :slfg:

editted to add. Just spoke to hubby about native and he shook his head. Gotta keep the hubby happy so. So far its a tropical Riparium he decided that he likes that idea :thup:

My next tank I am making is a hill stream loach torrent rifle, but you have the same problem that you have with natives, it gets hot in Beachlands. Also in a tall tank like that I think you should put something in it that makes the most of the tallness, where loaches dont use that.

Any type of fish that would go in the size aquarium that you have of water. They need to not eat your plants, but if you go with a small schooling fish (tetra, danio, rasbora, etc.) you should not have any problems.

Rasbora sounds interesting, I have had bad experiences with Danios I will look at the tetra types a person get too

I would go with tetra or mosquito rasbora?

I want to set up my native tank as a riparium (or get something bigger to do it in say 2m long 750mm wide and 1.2m high at the back with about 600mm of water)

It might be a tight fit to get the plants and something for them to grow on in 200mm. I think that some nice LED spotlights could really work well in that kind of setup

Hubby thought of this, will it work? He said we could paint the back with a layer of cement and then add pieces of polystyrene which we can paint with the cement as well, so its like a super thin home made background. We will ofcourse use the right type of stuff, like the ones that is used in the diy background threads.

I agree it will be a tight fit, may look a bit out of proportion. but the only good thing about a narrow tank is that light will come from the front, not just the top.

Yes and with how the ligthing is in my lounge it should get a lot, but we will do tank lighting too

hill stream loach tank would be at right height for you to observe them properly

sounds nice, but it looks like I will be aiming at schoolfish this time round

My next tank I am making is a hill stream loach torrent rifle, but you have the same problem that you have with natives, it gets hot in Beachlands. Also in a tall tank like that I think you should put something in it that makes the most of the tallness, where loaches dont use that.

Yeah Beachlands get very hot and humid in summer. I think with doing the riparium I will look at filling it at the most halfway, looking at more one third like the pic, we are going to try and do somthing like the pic. Will drive around this weekend and see what type of goodies is out there.

THanks so much for everyones ideas so far, I appreciate and read every single one

Mel, you are welcome to come and view my mini fish - rasbora and CPDs- if you want to see what they look like hanging out in a planted tank

Thank you :P I might in the future, we are going to drive around this weekend and just look at all kinds of stuff out there. Looks like this project is gonna take forever to set up LOL

LOL at the Zombie Cat :o

So we want to start by making a thin but rather rocky looking background perhaps with holes in so that the plants can be put in it that is above water so their container thingies are not as obvious. Is there a specific type of polestyrine that needs to be used or can it be any, reason I am asking is we were cleaning out the garage for inorganics and we have found 3 large expols we never used. We bought them from bunnings, they only sell the one type in different sizes, can a person use that, and how would be the best way to cut it?

dunno but easiest way to work with polystyrene is top make yourself a hot wire cutter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-wire_foam_cutter

at the bottom of the page there is a link to a few different designs.

used to use these to make warhammer 40K models

Oh wow that would have been very helpful, but hubby changed his mind again LOL Post to follow this one. :nilly:

don't get her started on games, she'll be making polystyrene landscapes for her SIMs :facepalm:

Ooooh perhaps a nice plumbob floating in the middle of the tank :sml2: naaaaa my sims are supernatural at the moment, I am playing a werewolve family and they would eat my poor fish if it was a full moon, so no fish for them LOL

So hubby decided to change his mind again, I will update the thread name again. He wanted to know if a colourful fish like for instance discus will be able to live happily in there, then all he wants to do is fill it with water, build a special box for it similar to the one Fishguy posted and we will hide the filters inside the fireplace, there will be only a paper background in the back and gravel to give the fish their space, he wants to put a moon type light thingy in so the colours of the fish are more vibrant. I told him I would run it by you guys and see what you think, we will deffinetly need advice on bracing though, that tank bowed like no tomorrow when we filled it up to check for leaks :o