New Seahorse tank

91 ZERO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Na no horses yet :( still waiting on Wonderworld to get them in. After talking direct with shops overseas it seems to be going around in circles. So just hurry up and wait I guess. One of the marine gurus at a petshop down here has contacts in NZ and harrases them on a weekly basis for me. So if anyone else knows if any??

I will get some photos up shortly. All animals and coral seem to be happy!

Just got back today from honeymoon in Rarotonga, and the amount of fish and coral I wanted to smuggle back was incredible haha. Bright blue star fish well over a foot in diameter surprised me.

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I have posted an update. Finally got the tank shifted to our new home after having been looked after for so long by our mate Sam at his house (was a wedding present by him and me to my now wife (Sam actually has his own 400L marine tank now after selling his tropical tank).

So in the tank now is:

1 x Starfish

1 x Pyjama Cardinal

1 x Bangai Cardinal

and.... 2 x seahorses!! Finally! :thup:

And we will just leave it at that while we get into a good routine with the tank.

Thanks to Rob (SeaDragon) for letting us bowl round last night and have a look at your tank!

Will post pics soon.

Kris

Cheers :D . Well we aren't using a wave maker yet as our old one died so have ordered another so the only flow is from the outlet so they aren't getting blown around and they are quite happily wrapping their tails around the nooks and crannies in the rock, the red plant, and chain. The big yellow one has already found a cave he likes :lol:

Yeah I may take you up on that Rob if thats alright, cheers.

Even though we have only had them one day, have been keeping a really close eye on their feeding to ensure they are getting something to eat. The little brown one is fiesty as, it scoots around and eats like a... horse. The big yellow one seems mellow, goes for a swim, then hangs out for ages, haven't seen him eat yet. The two Cardinals despite being "slow eaters" are enjoying the brine shrimp if it goes past them, but I don't want the big seahorse to miss out. So may look at relocating the Cardinals temporarily while the Seahorses settle more in? Or am I being overcautious?

Its funny, the Cardinals tend to keep their distance from the 'horses, don't think they know what to make of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update.. now have four Seahorses in the tank and will probebly just leave it at that for the moment.

Decided to remove the two Cardinals and they are currently on holiday in my friends tank. Reason being they definately aren't the slow eaters I thought they were, so didn't want them around while the Seahorses are still settling in eating all their food. Seahorses doing good so far. Got a rock skipper to vacuum up left over food left - he is a character!

• 3 months later...