New Seahorse tank

91 ZERO

I might hit you up later down the track if thats ok? I have been disussing with my mate today and have both decided to just carry on with the "natural" cycling. As mentioned earlier, I would rather take my time and get it fully cycled naturtally accepting it takes a while than try and speed it up using products - even if they proven.

Interesting, so if they have been fed on the frozen stuff since birth, you won't have a prob feeding them frozens, but if they have been fed live fish from the word go - they may be reluctant to change?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of an update, went to buy some more coral sand but everywhere has sold out and waiting on more from supplier (we cleaned them out when we bought the tank). It still cycling and now building up bacteria quite quickly :). Levels of ammonia sill non-existant however last couple days we started to get a reading. A few remnants of previous coral starting to grow on the rock to which is nice. But will put a bit of coral in next weekend and possibly a shrimp.

IMG048.jpg

I use the plastic chain that you get at Mitre 10 and cable tie it to small pieces of live rock. they seem to like it. They have a number of different colours and the colur will help the colour of the seahorse. I use yellow.

I agree that I hate artifuial and I will reduce the amount as the Gorgonians grow bigger

Shouldn't have said anything haha.

Well I have been keeping a look out for suitable things to put in there, and even though I would rather not have artificial stuff in the tank, some of the more ideal things (as far as I can see) are things like the plastic chain that SeaDragon just mentioned, as well as an artifical mangrove I found on TM, which has heaps of branches they could hang on to.

Just gotta geta bit creative as long as ya don't use anything toxic I guess!

Well the tank has its first fish!

We put a Pyjama Cardinal in on the weekend with first bit of coral. He seems happy enough so far, has found himself a nice little home amoungst the coral! This weekend may put in one more cardinal, a shrimp, and some more coral.

Water readings all clear too :)

Since it is a wedding gift for my partner, was hoping to have at least two Seahorses in there by Sunday the 18th (when we show it to her), but I don't think will be able to source any by then :( - well Wonderworld don't have an indication just yet on any ETA.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank now has;

2 x Pyjama Cardinals

4 x Turbo snails

1 x Blue Starfish

1 x Fire Shrimp

1 x Candy Cane Coral

1 x Yellow Sun Coral

1 x Small green brain(?) Coral

1 x Polyp Green Coral

All seem to be happy! Gotta put some photos up. My now Wife loved it as a her wedding present! :D

Still waiting on Seahorses to come in :(

Oh right. Yeah it is the first time I have actually seen one up close, they are amazing.. and yeah you're right, a really nice deep blue.

I'm taking the mrs to that one in Petone this weekend for her to have a look and maybe buy a couple more pieces of coral. That big marine set up there is coooool.

Oh really? Petone or Porirua? Will go in tomorrow and see if they have much left. Mrs keen on seeing and choosing some more coral.

I have to say a marine tank is alot more satisfying than having a small race car as a hobby - and I don't really have to travel anywhere!

• 4 weeks later...