Found an orphaned bird

ally07

Hi all

We found an orphaned chick at the side of the road today and took him home in case a cat came along. We are pretty sure that it is a baby wood pigeon (kereru). It looks a bit ragged but doesn't look injured. We'll be taking it to a vet next week to make sure everything's OK, but we were wondering if it's legal to keep it as a pet??

Thanks in advance.

If you keep it as a pet, be on the look out for a dawn raid by police for the possession of protected wildlife.

63 Taking protected wildlife or game, etc

(1) No person may, without lawful authority,—

(a) hunt or kill any absolutely protected or partially protected wildlife or any game:

(b) buy, sell, or otherwise dispose of, or have in his or her possession any absolutely protected or partially protected wildlife or any game or any skin, feathers, or other portion, or any egg of any absolutely protected or partially protected wildlife or of any game:

How small are your hands? :o

The dove chick was could fit into my wife's palm, so it wasn't very large. In comparison, the wood pigeon chick would have required both my hands cupped together to pick it up (I didn't attempt it, it was so huge lol)..

is that the spot necked ones?

No idea, the lady didn't explain - might've been too early to tell, I'm not sure. The chick was just brown all over, no signs of spots.