Shipping fish - Am I doing it right?

DennisP

Thanks,

But how do I go about actually getting the fish picked up/sent?

Can I go through a post shop? Do I need to get the courier to come to me? etc etc

You have to take the box to the courier depot, and do it just before they close to insure that the fish are in the box for as little time as possible.

Also you can put more water in the bag and more fish too. For small tetras/rasboras you could probably put up to 15-20 fish per bag depending on the size of the bag and fish. Those dwarf puffers are really small so you can put them all in the same bag.

Also remember to put "Live Tropical Fish Handle With Care" on top of the box, and also write "Do Not Chill" or something like that, because I heard a story on Fishkeepers where someone purchased a colony of Tropheus sp. and they all arrived dead. The guy spoke to the courier company and they said that they refrigerated the fish :o

worst one I've seen was a full poly box returned to us with an apology for somehow reducing the whole box to 1 inch tall

Reminds me of a story from a guy once. Sent off a transmission well packaged in a wooden crate. After a while and the buyer complaining that it hadn't arrived he got a message, "Could you please come pick up your cardboard box, it's leaking."