Baby fighters with white spot

luvguppies

Ok.,...we need some help...

we have teeny tiny one week old baby fighters and they have white spot quite bad! we hav turned the tank up to about 31 degrees and we usually use malkon blu but it says it is unsafe for fry!!! what do we do? don't wanna lose the babies :cry:

Improve your water conditions and prepare for the next brood.

What caused the white-spot?

Think about it; as fry like this, will be very difficult to save,

and you won't want to make the same mistake next time.

Good luck with the next lot.

Alan 104

Raising the temp doesnt kill whitespot (until the temp gets so high it would kill the fish as well) it speeds up the w/s life cycle making it easier to treat (i.e. med's dont have to be in the water for as long to kill them all).

Raising the temp might be making the problem worse because you will a) be stressing the fish b) lowering the O2 in the water (stressing the fish more) c) make your filter less affective because of the lower O2 in the water (can I say more stress?) d) the faster life cycle will infect your fish faster.

IMHO, I think you should (once the babies gone are or survived) completely clean out your fry tank (if your using one) even giving it a bleach wash to kill any w/s in there, and do a really good treatment on all your other tanks. w/s can be in your tank and not show up on fish until they are stressed (like when breeding) plus if you are using the same nets, water change containers etc etc, it can move between tanks.

Well....I'd just like to thank everyone for their help!...we treated them, cleaned the water......and now have about 5 survivers (but don't know how long they will be around!

It kinda sucks coz this was the first successful breed we have had with the fighters...but at least we have learnt for next time!..I think the biggest problem was that when we set up the breeding tank we originally transferred a small amount of water form the community tank...which probably had the w/s in it! Oh well....we'll see what happens with these babies, and if no survivers then we can always try again in a few weeks!