New tank and stocking options for Red Sea Max 250

kithrup

Hi.

I'm in the process of planning a 4 foot reef tank. I was initially thinking custom made with sump, skimmer etc... on a rimu stand with T5 lighting (LED possibly). However I just had a look at the Red Sea Max 250 which is pretty much a self contained unit and would work out be be a similar cost with less tweaking involved. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with/opinions on the contained unit vs. custom built? Is no UV an issue or is it worth adding one?

My background is almost exclusively freshwater with a short (but successful) fling with native seahorses. So no reef experience at all. I also have less free-time than I used to so the contained unit is tempting if they are easier in reality - although I know there will still be plenty of upkeep.

Any suggestions welcome.

Darren

I believe the quality of equipment is good from what I hear, but I have no first hand experience,

The red sea tanks are nice, but the skimmer is pretty useless, about as good as a reef octopus skimmer.

You can upgrade the skimmer.

The t5s are ok for most corals, no need to get leds ,

The red sea tanks are nice, but the skimmer is pretty useless, about as good as a reef octopus skimmer.

You can upgrade the skimmer.

The t5s are ok for most corals, no need to get leds ,

Ouch, I run a Reef Octopus Skimmer and it goes hard. What is it that you don't like about them reef?

The corals I had all grew well under my quad t5's, but have upgraded to LED and I'm happy, what pushed me over was the $260+ 6 monthly bulb replacement cost.

Personal preference at the end of the day, try getting a look at other people tanks first hand to help with making decisions.

Thanks for all of the feedback. There's always going to be people with completely different opinions so it's good to hear both sides.

I'm still on the fence regarding an "all in one" and could go either way. I've had a look on TM and there is the odd nice marine set up but the problem with 2nd hand tanks is that you are not necessarily getting exactly what you want which is the same as with the All in One (although cheaper in the short term).

I'm looking around for RODI units and it looks like Ebay may be the way to go. Has anyone gone down this route and how do you source cartridge replacements?

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. I'm committed to getting an RSM250 now so looking around for the best deal.

With regards to stocking, I'll slowly build up the corals and cleaning crew (snails, an urchin, hermit crab?). I've had a look on a few forums and there are mixed opinions on keeping tangs in a 250. Regals definitely too big but what are peoples feelings on yellow, brown or yellow eye (kole)? Also would a foxface go OK in this size? My feeling is that at best it's one or the other as both are biggish for this tank, or are tangs just not going to be happy in this size of tank? Aside from those I'm thinking a couple of percola or ocellaris clowns to keep my 3 year old happy, a flame hawkfish would be nice and maybe a couple of other medium-smallish fish to dart around and look pretty, e.g. fairy wrasse. Any suggestions? What species are actually available?

Snails are good, but you'd need quite a few to manage algae. I've heard urchins are good at cleaning up, but obvious with the spikes comes risks of fish getting stabbed. Hermits are great cleaners, but once again they have issues like walking all over corals hap-haphazardly. Don't mean to put you off a clean up grew, just saying research before you commit to anything.

Theres always mixed opinions on anything marine related. I have a 300L 1m wide display tank and won't keep a tang as I've been told even 4ft is pushing it for tangs, but I've seen happy tangs in a 150L, 600mm wide tanks, so guess it's up to if you really. I think the tang that copes the best with smaller tanks is a Sailfin, but I'm no expect and stand to be corrected.

HFF Albany has a nice RSM 250, from memory they keep a flame angel, sixline wrasse and maybe a couple clowns, can't remember what else.

LEDS, aliexpress.com (or similar goggle LG LEDS aliexpress). I use them with huge success and many people who have seen mine have bought their own units.

Cheap to buy, good results, cheap maintenance, compact units, cheap power... you will need to install a resistor inline to slow fans and make them quieter.

Other options are Maxspect razors, and Ecotech radions but cost more.

Also reef octopus are not bad skimmers. I'd put my Super Reef Octopus 5000s against the same rated skimmer of any brand for a performance comparison... Bubble Magus are good skimmers too. But its not rocket science putting an impeller and pump together to smash tiny bubbles. But some are definitely better than others by design.

Nice to see another fellow chch'er taking up the hobby!

As for RODI, its recommended and worth the expense, but not necessarily required depending on which part of town you are in. I'm in Sockburn/Yaldhurst area and I just use tap water and dupla marin salt mix.

I'm going to get a decent RODI unit once finances permit, but for now tap water is doing the job fine :)

NSW on the otherhand, you are right to stay well clear of that at the moment. Even before the quakes it was pretty difficult to find somewhere local to collect.