R.I.P otocinclus

Zuri_08

My Oto died today :-(

In death he was buoyant enough to appear to be standing on his tail fins, it was as if he was walking on the gravel. Then I noticed him moving with the current, not against it, and the fact he wasn't moving at all. :-( He is in the garden now.

I did notice he appeared stressed the last couple of days; not moving much but the gills were moving very rapidly. I wonder why he died? There were no obvious signs of injury or illness, though his belly was a little yellow (is that normal?).

I had been treating for cyanobacteria - could that have made him sick (but not the other fish?).

the helpful lady at the shop suggested to test the water so I did that, though the tests are not perfect (multi-strip thing) but seemed to be in the normal range...

Thanks for the comments. To Sophia, sorry all your Oto's died, they must be a more sensitive fish.

I wonder though, do they 'need' wood to eat? I read somewhere they do, and somewhere else they don't... My tank has plants but not any drift wood, did you year-old Oto's have wood?

To Godly3vil, I've feed my algae eaters algae chips (from fish store) and zucchini (from veggie store) and they seem to like those things, especially the zucchini.

Otos need green algae rather than wood, so I thought. Mine have had various algaes, and wood. This 6 never took to processed food or courgette unlike the original 2 who would suck onto an algae wafer and monopolise it so the corydora couldn't eat it. I wondered if it was something to do with the soft/hardness of the water, or maybe some other bacteria or algae they were getting too much of. I am not sure that I'll ever know. :dunno:

I have six otos between two tanks ( four in one an pair in the other ).

Lots of Info on the net about why they die after around a month or so of being introduced to the tank.

The capture method is to blame.

Some fish collectors use toxins to stun them in the river including cyanide since they are so tricky to catch.

My guess is that after a month they go into organ failure from the toxins , pretty rough.

Most experts suggest you will have around a 50% die off rate , if they survive the 1st month you are home and hosed.

doubt that in the NZ market due to the shipping times and quarantine times required by maf.

that info is more to do with the american market due to the fact they can go from river to shop in around 48 hours

ah of course,

Thanks for that, so i can stop waiting for half my Ottos to go belly up phew ! :o

Thanks for all your comments.

I had a look on other websites, it does seem Oto's are more sensitive to things. People must be able to breed them in NZ? Or do they all come from America?

I'm also still figuring out the filtering system; I've converted what was a goldfish tank into a tropical tank and I didn't realise the importance of the filter until I read a bit more about tank-cycling. Hopefully it is better now.

• 6 months later...
My Oto died today :-(

In death he was buoyant enough to appear to be standing on his tail fins, it was as if he was walking on the gravel. Then I noticed him moving with the current, not against it, and the fact he wasn't moving at all. :-( He is in the garden now.

I did notice he appeared stressed the last couple of days; not moving much but the gills were moving very rapidly. I wonder why he died? There were no obvious signs of injury or illness, though his belly was a little yellow (is that normal?).

I had been treating for cyanobacteria - could that have made him sick (but not the other fish?).

the helpful lady at the shop suggested to test the water so I did that, though the tests are not perfect (multi-strip thing) but seemed to be in the normal range...

they tend to die for no apparent reason, my pair died the day I was about to get 3 more &c:ry