Eliminating Pump Vibration

hovmoller

Hi there,

This might be one of those beaten to death issues but it's new to me so I'll ask:

I'm using an Eheim 5000 as my return pump but I find it vibrates (hums) quite loudly. Now I've put it on a foam pad in the sump and that helped a bit but I think most of the sound is coming from the vibration it causes in the return plumbing. So my question is this:

Does anyone know of a good type of soft flexi hose I could put between pump and pvc plumbing? (instead of pvc hose)

Cheers

Bunnings have flexible clear tubing available in various sizes, make sure you use hose clamps though as it does get old and hard and loses its grip even when pushed on tight to the pvc. I'm running an FX5 return hose and nozzles on my Eheim Compact5000 and it seems to be ok, I've padded it up where the hose sits on the sump with filter wool and placed sponge under the pump and that seems to have made it a bit quieter.

TBH I'm not that impressed with it, going to go with Laguna next time.....

I'm running an FX5 return hose and nozzles on my Eheim Compact5000

Ah yes they are flexi hose aren't they? do they fit on the eheim 5000 or will I some kind of adapter?

TBH I'm not that impressed with it, going to go with Laguna next time.....

Yeah I'm not too impressed either, though Eheim was the quitest around but your old Laguna 7500 is much quieter than the Eheim (but too much flow for the marine tank)