Keeping Apistogramma in bare bottom tanks

Joe

Hey everyone,

I only have enough gravel to put in to one of my breeding tanks. Apistogramma trifasciata will go in one, and Licorice Gouramis will go in the other. From what I have been reading about Licorice Gouramis, it is important that they have a dark substrate. So I am going to put them in the tank with gravel.

Both tanks have white polystyrene underneath, which of course will reflect a bit of light upwards in the tank without gravel. Will the trifasciata be okay in this tank, or should I look at getting some sort of substrate?

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks guys! I will try and get some sand then :D So far, I've bought sand from Mitre 10 and from Centaland and in both cases the sand had bits of clay all through it, making clear water impossible :x:( We have just had a new Bunnings built so I will go there and check out their sand :thup:

At the moment they will have to put up with the bare bottom tank. I had to move them out of the 140L because I wanted to release the male cacatuoides from the net breeder.

You will have to come and search Joe. Everything has been moved for painters, builders etc. I know there is a bucket of some sort of gravel in the garage as I saw it this morning. The stuff that was in the 3ft is here somewhere (and it was fine and dark) plus I have some like in the 4ft (I think) plus some fruit salad somewhere that someone gave me.

I am not painting the bottom of the tanks. I had considered it, but those tanks cost quite a bit and are of awesome quality and I don't want to ruin them :lol: Also it's extra work and I will have to drain them and move the fish out.

I've just bought a $7.00 25L bag of Builders Sand from Bunnings. If it is no good for my aquariums, mum said that she'll buy it off me and use it for the garden :thup:

I'll come and have a look on the weekend then Caryl. Thanks so much :hail: