How to make overflow quiet

henward

dont know how they work

They work well. :sml2:

On my marine mine was flowing way over the ideal amount for 20mm(iirc) pipe so it was pretty noisy, Still managing somewhere around 4000LPH though. Most of the noise was whistling from the little hole you drill in the top to let air in to tune it. More flow through smaller pipes=more air sucking through it. If you make yours with bigger pipe it should flow more water and be quieter.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

yes!!!

like this link

seen that,

so that type of piping set up, you can make that a thicker version? or do you just have to have 2 thinner ones?

rephrase, will that work with one thicker all around pipe?

also, does the flow suffer due to that 'bend' on top that stops the noise?

Thats what i want, seems very quiet.

i want it as quiet as possible.

also you mentioned the small hole at the top.

does that matter if you make it bigger?

my new tank set up will have 2 big overflows on each corner, i will also make the over flow square so there is more 'drain' capacity from the tank water level.

i could probably fit 2 of the thinner pipes or 1 quite thick one.

correct me if i am wrong.

the key to quietness is :

1) the actual opening of that pipe MUST be quite high up so the water draining from the tank does not act like a waterfall and make a racket?

is that right?

im scared that it wont flow fast enough to drain and water will accumulate in the tank and flood.

also, i dont want it so when the pump turns off, i dont want there to be too much accumulation of water in the tank itself that it overflows in the sump.

make sense?

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-you ... iy?start=3

Reading through this.

Why does it start off small and then increases in diameter, im confused.

why bother reducing the diameteR?

why not just make it one straight pipe to the top of the same size?

any experiences on that?

i am thinking, If you had no reason to move the tank, my tank aint movin.

can i just silicone and properly fit the pipe on the overflow not intended to be moved or unscrewed?

also, they use 1 and a 1/4 inch pipes, If i was to use 1.5inch or even 2 inch, is this ok?

let me know your thoughts.

flow in the tank i intend is gonna be quite high.

you probably want something more like a 'bean animal overflow' so you can have one drain on full siphon to handle big flow and another with a durso to make it quiet.

why not both quiet?

sorry, you mean one overflow is just pure full on drain

another quiet?

looking back to my old 1200Litre,

man it was loud.

i can hear it outside the garage lol

i was thinking both quiet, but i am unsure if this compromises flow due to the structure and arrangement of the pipes....any feedback on that?

you probably want something more like a 'bean animal overflow' so you can have one drain on full siphon to handle big flow and another with a durso to make it quiet.

+1

This is on the marine tank I bought from you (with the exeption of the 3rd failsafe durso)

It's very quiet..

Have a look here: (very good explanation)

http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php

Why would you use pressure pipe?

I think with the size tank you're planning you'd want a 50mm drain for the full siphon and maybe a 40mm durso for the excess and a third spare 40mm as per the system Hovmoller is talking about just to make it completely fail-safe. The durso will be quiet, but a drain running as a full siphon will be quieter, it is the air that makes it loud.

Pressure pipe is what everyone seems to use plus they have the good valves to suit

I've never seen pressure pipe used for drains, usually 32 or 40mm waste pipe, though for something over 2000L like Henward is planning 50mm might be a better option! Its good for the return side, but can be a bit pricey for 25mm+ diameter stuff, I usually use a mix of the pressure pipe and clear plastic tube.

The bean animal is awesome, on my next tank ill use something very similar, might go without the 3rd emergency drain.

i think the version with two pipes is referred to as the "herbie overflow"....?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquari ... 03844.html

Ill be using the full siphon drain and a second dorso to take the rest.. Some sort of hybrid of the two anyway!!!

wrote to that website

the guy said that for a tank 2600litres plus the high output. I am looking at bout 11k minimum LPH to 15lph.

he said that it will make a hell of a sound regardless of how you do it cos of the massive volumes of water.

interesting.

just a random Idea, but what about a floating peice of coarse grade sponge in the over flow to prevent the water splashing as hard, if you use coarse enough material It shouldn't clog up too easily

actually, the crash comes from the build up of water in the tank itself, then when it 'tips over' down the overflow, it has the waterfall effect. the water actually arcs and crashes.

IF you have enough drain power and enough over flow surface area. Then the water should in effect not arc so much

ideally, the water pumped into the tank from the sump is close to the volume that the overflows can drain.

if so, then the noise is minimal

my tank right now, has little noise in the overflow, the noise actually comes from the water entering the socks.

the overflow doesnt arc, the water just flows against he wall, and quite quiet.

SO, my goal is to first make sure my overflow is big enough, both of the over flows, that i dont accumulate water in the tak itself, and that the drain is equal to or greater than the return pumps power to pump water into the tank.

make sense?

drain is equal to the return pumps power to pump water into the tank.

make sense?

Doesn't make sense at all... too unpredictable and a recipe for disaster imo.

That's why you need at least 2 drains. One where you can with a valve set it to work in full siphon and take almost all the water and another where the little water that is left runs down the sides of the pipe.

If you are thinking about having such a high turnover there's no reason why you could have 2 or 3 drains set to run full syphon (controlled by valves) and another witha small trickle for the rest

Easy

If you really want it quiet go closed loop with something like an Ultima, or even better one of those 'glass filters' they're talking about on that MFK thread, they do the mechanical aspect far better than the bead filters apparently. Could DIY your own bead filter by replacing the sand in a pool filter with plastic media...