Bristle Nose Catfish

tabrat

I have three Bristle-nose Catfish, that i have had for about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs, im pretty sure two are males and one is female, we now have four baby bristle-nose that are now about four months old, the two Older males have off recent started fighting,, have we got to many bristle-nose in our tank,, should we try and get rid of the babies,, Tank is 160 Litre. We have also five tetras, three loaches, one rainbow, three dwarf G also. Thanks in Advance..Cheers I have No idea :facepalm:

I had about 300 one year old bristlenose in a smaller tank for a while. You won't be doing water changes like I was, but no you don't have too many bristlenose.

If you add more caves you will have less fighting, but soon you will have many more bristlenose :rotf:

I find that loaches are usually the best form of contraception for bristlenose.

If you take out all the caves, but still have plenty of hiding spots, then the fighting will also stop.

In other words remove the need to protect a territory, by either removing the territory or providing more territories than fish.

Cheers

I have three Bristle-nose Catfish, that i have had for about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs, im pretty sure two are males and one is female, we now have four baby bristle-nose that are now about four months old, the two Older males have off recent started fighting,, have we got to many bristle-nose in our tank,, should we try and get rid of the babies,, Tank is 160 Litre. We have also five tetras, three loaches, one rainbow, three dwarf G also. Thanks in Advance..Cheers I have No idea :facepalm:

I had about 500 in a 100 liter tank and currently (Last time I could count them) about 25-30 in a 450. I don't think you're overcrowding them too much.

And the males almost never hurt each other, they're not really even fighting. They'll be more posturing. Puff out their cheek spikes and try to push the other guy around.