In-Line Pump

newaqua

Yea, the over-heating issue is what I am worried about. I really want to know for sure before I leave it going while im not at home.

Ignoring that you've discovered it's broken...You could just connect a hose to the outlet and inlet(sucking from a bucket) then put it outside to run if you're worried. It will get as hot as it's going to get after a couple hours.

parts sorted...

also for everyones info

have talked to the guys and they have set up pondmaster pumps before outside of the water.

only issues are that it needs to be kept below intake level to prevent drying out in power cut (creates its own syphon to draw water into it), and make sure all your seals are tight. over heating is not a problem as the water passing inside will cool it.

running it dry will burn it out in a few minutes. if it does burn out there is normally no danger to the surroundings, the resin encasing the motor expands a bit and it stops working.

Ok guys, so any idea of whether I should have it pulling from the tank and pushing into the canister filter, or pulling from the canister filter and pushing into the tank?

My guess is after the canister filter, therefore if there is an issue with pressure in the canister filter (due to the higher flow rate of this pump) it will most likely cause the canister to suck in air, which I would prefer, compared to it pushing water out of the canister. I would prefer it to do nether, and if it does one, Ill try to fix it, as neither is desirable.

So any ideas?

Ok guys, so any idea of whether I should have it pulling from the tank and pushing into the canister filter, or pulling from the canister filter and pushing into the tank?

My guess is after the canister filter, therefore if there is an issue with pressure in the canister filter (due to the higher flow rate of this pump) it will most likely cause the canister to suck in air, which I would prefer, compared to it pushing water out of the canister. I would prefer it to do nether, and if it does one, Ill try to fix it, as neither is desirable.

So any ideas?

Sounds reasonable to me. I did once have a powerhead forcefeeding a Fluval 404 because the 404's motor died. It only leaked once, but that's because the pressure popped the levers on the side open and the top of the cannister opened. Running some tape around the outside to hold the levers down fixed that.

i had a pump inline before a cannister it was in the tank pretty much my intake strainer as well

it was to provide extra pressure to pass the water thru a pleated paper pool filter, so the cannister could be only biological media and never need cleaning.

it worked well even though the pump was ratted 1800lph and the external was 2700lph