Hello [AKL]

Dr A

Hi there,

Been lurking for a bit so thought I'd say hello - it's nice to see a local forum that's got lots of active members...

I've kept fish as a child, and have some outdoors at the moment (mixed gold/white Mountian Minnows in a large Chinese glazed fish bowl).

I'd like to get a small and manageable indoor tropical fish tank set up. Key things here being ease of use/maintenance, low cost and a smallish footprint. The whole process is quite daunting, which is actually how I found you guys.

Evidently Betta(s) seem like a good entry point, in terms of being some what user friendly and stable, although I'm not set on this. I seem to like "planted" tanks too, evidently you can set them up to be "low tech".

The plan was/is to get something from TradeMe second hand and set it up:

I've found these on around, they look nice and elegant but I'm not sure that it'll be suitable (no lid, no mention of how fast the flow of the filters is, no mention of the thermostat on the heater...)

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I can't find any mention of them online. One would assume they're comming out of a factory in China somewhere and someone in NZ is importing and distributing them.

Discounting said style, I'll be in the market for a second hand tank...

I'd like to have it large enough to plant and get a few compatible fish, kuhli loach's seem a good bet assuming they're available. 10Gal/40L should be large enough for a combination tank with a few Kuhli's?

Could be wrong but I think the Petstop in Gillies Ave stocks these tanks. Or at least something similar.

You might be able to mitigate the isse of fish jumping by keeping the water level low enough. Though my understanding is that fish generally jump when the conditions are not good.

yeah, most anabatoids prefer warm moist air, cold dry air can lead to infections even in adult fish, but to be honest the humid air will settle in the area above the water, it really only becomes a problem when you have them in a freezing cold shed or something. Never seen those tanks before, but look cool, would like to take a gander to see how they are set up, if you like that sort of look the Aquaone nano cubes are pretty good with a descent filter system all hidden away in the back. I would recommend a lid anyway, better than finding you betta on the ground.

good to drag another lurker out of the shadows :P

Cheers guys.

What questions should I be asking the seller for those tanks on trademe...?

I need to figure out how fast the outflow of the filter is right? if it's adjustable, and if the thermometer is adjustable (can't image it's not but you never know...)

I looked at these once before

Size: 60cm x 24.5cm x 24.5cm (36 Litres)

Pump: 8W 600L/H

Heater: 75W

Lighting: LED 7.2W, touch switch, three light modes (blue and white bulbs can operate separately).

The only adjustable flow rate filters I've seen have something which restricts the flow.

Ha, after carefully thinking about it all I'm doing is paying more for less.

Flagging the minimalistic tank for the time being for a more conventional one, which will hold more water (and therefore, fish/stuff) and be cheaper.

Or, consider the alternative proposition that a larger tank will cost you more in time and power in heating, cleaning, and doing water changes.

I quite like the look of the Fluval Edge which is selling in the mid $200s ( or $300), but was a real bargain at $70 from some places clearing them out!

Or, consider the alternative proposition that a larger tank will cost you more in time and power in heating, cleaning, and doing water changes.

I quite like the look of the Fluval Edge which is selling in the mid $200s ( or $300), but was a real bargain at $70 from some places clearing them out!

You are correct.

I did weigh up those Edges - I've decided they look classy but also appear to be ruthlessly impractical. There's also some debate about how good they are for Bettas (which I've more or less decided to go for, although I could be swayed towards a group of females).

For that same $200+ I could buy a tank (conventional, but still elegant) which while perhaps isn't so avant garde has almost double the volume. Again if it was $70 it'd be a different story.

Final consideration is that my house is too small to fit more than one tank in it (single story villa split in half, Ponsonby), so I might as well buy a larger one now.

I also don't pay for power (!).

*edit: also unsold on those LEO tanks on trademe due to again, comparatively low volume per dollar, and a complete lack of anyone online having one. I even ran the image through TinEye to no avail.

If you are looking at keeping betta in a tank, particularly males, be aware that the tanks with the overhead trickle filters do not go well with these fish. The long fins and tail make it hard work for the fish in a current. They need a lesser flow and in tanks with the overhead filter and a power head will not live happily if at all.

If you are looking at keeping betta in a tank, particularly males, be aware that the tanks with the overhead trickle filters do not go well with these fish. The long fins and tail make it hard work for the fish in a current. They need a lesser flow and in tanks with the overhead filter and a power head will not live happily if at all.

Ah ha, I was fooled by the "trickle" part of trickle filter...

There appear to be cheap ones w/ overhead filters. One or two mention flow control though.

I could just follow this Walstad method (or some of the other "low tech") guides online - possibly doing away with my filter, but I like the idea of walking before I run.