one fish one tank.

wee2

Nice set-up with the driftwood!

How are you liking the bare bottom set up? I recently removed the gravel in my tank because it was trapping A LOT of debris and poo, so it was near impossible to keep the ammonia down. Now that my tank is bare bottomed, clean up is a SNAP! I arranged my wavemaker so all the poo and debris goes into the FX-5 intake.

Now I just drain the tank from the FX-5 every week and clean the filters every 2-3 weeks without my arms going into the tank, moving driftwood, stressing the fish. I'm still considering whether or not to put fine sand inside, but to be honest, bare bottom is sooo good haha.

One just has to ignore the tank bracing and that it looks a bit 'unnatural'. :thup:

fantastic specimen!! what a beaut!

i wouldnt risk getting that beat up for breeding lol

suggestion:

Maqybe put a background, the white brick wall... well, not that nice lol

but awesome fish.

haha, yeah aggree. I am planning to spray paint the back into black.

Nice set-up with the driftwood!

How are you liking the bare bottom set up? I recently removed the gravel in my tank because it was trapping A LOT of debris and poo, so it was near impossible to keep the ammonia down. Now that my tank is bare bottomed, clean up is a SNAP! I arranged my wavemaker so all the poo and debris goes into the FX-5 intake.

Now I just drain the tank from the FX-5 every week and clean the filters every 2-3 weeks without my arms going into the tank, moving driftwood, stressing the fish. I'm still considering whether or not to put fine sand inside, but to be honest, bare bottom is sooo good haha.

One just has to ignore the tank bracing and that it looks a bit 'unnatural'. :thup:

sand substrate is really pain. my larger tank of 800L were applied with fine Silica Sand. Everytime when I do the bottom clean, the sand easiliy got sucked out. also there is always one layyer of sand at bottom when I open the external filter to clean. as you said, gravel and sand do trap a lot of debris and poo. Bare bottom is good and easy to maintain at all time. my filter is not good enough. I am currently looking to buy a FX5 to replace. I am doing daily 1/8 water change to keep water condition ATM.

at the mean time, I am still think of applying substrate to make a nature look. I like greyish colour

Go for it. An FX-5 is the best investment I've made for my tank. It will be fine as the sole filter of that tank, no worries.

will looking to set up a larger and better tank probably 1000L for my large dwellers after moving. will buy a FX5 by then. my large tank 800L is currently for sale can save me from moving. :-?

Good to see my old girl looking good!! Hope you find her an equally attractive guy.

OT; Ally if you're having problems with ammonia then the sand isn't really the problem (altho removing it will help keep it clean manually), it sounds like you don't have enough biological filtration, either not enough media to house a sufficiently large bacteria colony, or not enough turn over to keep the water moving thru the filter. Or both. Don't want to hijack Wee's thread too much, but you may want to look at increasing the filtration.

Good to see my old girl looking good!! Hope you find her an equally attractive guy.

OT; Ally if you're having problems with ammonia then the sand isn't really the problem (altho removing it will help keep it clean manually), it sounds like you don't have enough biological filtration, either not enough media to house a sufficiently large bacteria colony, or not enough turn over to keep the water moving thru the filter. Or both. Don't want to hijack Wee's thread too much, but you may want to look at increasing the filtration.

not a problem. I am experiementing same issue. so good to learn