Calling all Tauranga (and surrounding) Marine Keepers

F15hguy

unfortunately the market share that would make this idea work is taken by trademe atm, and the added variety would not really make more people enter the hobby, but more likely mkae us in the hobby stay longer and have a worse case of MTS.

the best way to increase the amount of people in the hobby is finding out who's spouting that fish keeping is hard work, takes too much effort, can only be done by scientists, need a bachelor in water chemistry.

I think the thing with marine is that it can cater for a large variety of hobbyists with different economic backgrounds.

Whether we are rich or not as rich we sometimes have to limit our spending. But in life (as in a any hobby) more cash does make buying things a bit easier.

true, I am currently running to tanks, on a 21L NZ mudflat marine, the other a Leopard fish breeding tank approx 50L (with more on the way) my total outlay so far has been $15 for the marine tank, $5 for the Leopard fish, $3 for the light tube, $5 for a hacksaw to remake the light fitting, total $28, and a heap of fun!!!!ok they not the prettiest tanks, but they are interesting, fun and I've fallen in love with my sand goby.

last time I think it cost me around $250 to set up 8-10 breeding tanks, with fish included

so budget is all in your own head. get creative, its the kiwi way

p.s. just noticed the Crayfish tank in Sanfords is running an under-gravel filter connected to its sump, the under-gravel filter is made out of some shade cloth held down with 5 big stones

As for pricing I believe that currently it is on the high side and think with increasing competition (no more oligopoly). I reckon a 20-30% retail price drop in the near-ish future is on the cards.

That would be nice, however reality is that it is likely to go up by 20-30 % given the fish industry is not immune to inflation.

We both know how much a linkia or hermit crab costs wholesale and know how many fit in a box. Same with the fish.... (although they are more tricky).

With more suppliers there will be increased compeition and supply.

A Powder Blue was around $160-185 until recently. Aquaworld has lowered this already, as has Wonderworld to around $140. Personally given wholesale price of them its actually good value IMO and would consitute a 20-30% shift in price. (Although these guys have used vertical intergration to achieve price advantages and secure better supply).

Increased competition is only good for the system if the demand is there, otherwise it can cause oversupply and a collapse of the industry, to be honest I would like to see another commercial breeding outfit in NZ first than send our money overseas for fish that we could easily breed here ourselves, this would free up our importers from bringing in a whole range of species letting them expand their range.

We both know how much a linkia or hermit crab costs wholesale and know how many fit in a box. Same with the fish.... (although they are more tricky).

who pays for wages? who pays for future upgrades? who pays for transport/ vehicle running cost/ stationary/ plastic bags/ rent/ salt etc,

I think you missed most of the costs.

In general the buy price of imported stock in general is irrelevant to the overall running costs of a Business.

Retailers need even a bigger margin to cover Business costs and have some money left to make a profit to sustain future growth.

this would free up our importers from bringing in a whole range of species letting them expand their range.

Can't see how as it is impossible to get other species given MAFs none appetite to add more fish. bread a butter fish keep wholesalers from operating.

yeah but the import list is MILES bigger than what we are currently getting. there are many species that we have never seen in the country but have been on the list for years

Yes, but it is not stock that you can just go and buy when ever you want as it is not available, and it is not costs effective to go to one supplier to get a few species of fish.

I agree with your last two points reef.

The selection is limited, although it has improved greatly thanks to some hard work by importers and hobbyists.

To be honest their are key species that people really want and they are on the lists. Its risky to bring in oddities that knowone wants. Cause importers then have to hold onto them, sometimes for ages.

Also their has to be a premium margin on a business that has such restrictions like importing livestock into New Zealand does, and to cover the cashflow negative nature of it. Its not like just opening up a retail store in the local shopping mall.

Of course the cost of wages, maintance, and alike must all be covered. As well as extra for covering potentially losing an entire shipment.

Maybe the 20-30% drop I mentioned is a little oppounistic. It maybe more like only 10-15% when there are 5 players in the marine import market.

• 4 weeks later...

Im moving to Tauranga later this year / early next year and starting up my marine, i currently deal only with Wonderworld, but if there was another shop in Tga that had similar products i would shop there for sure. At the least they would be my first port of call.