Car audio installation help

SamH

Hey guys,

Just bought new head unit for my car, 1994 Lancer, and popped the bonnet to find the negative battery terminal is rusted so badly it won't even move let alone be removed.

Has anyone had any experience removing such a thing? I've WD-40'd it, tapped it, tried vice grips, etc but no luck!

Thanks

Every article I've read and every video I've watched tells me to disconnect the battery. No, first time and I was supposed to have a mate over to do it but he's at work. Now I'm having trouble removing the old head unit from the cage.

Getting it out the cage: What brand stereo is the old one? they sometimes need "Keys" which slide down the sides 'tween the stereo and the cage to release it.

If you don't have them, go to a stereo place that does installs and ask them if you can just pop it out, then drive home and do the change...

Every article I've read and every video I've watched tells me to disconnect the battery. No, first time and I was supposed to have a mate over to do it but he's at work. Now I'm having trouble removing the old head unit from the cage.

yea its definetly recommended if you dont know what your doing to Disconnect it saves the head unit and u from getting shocked.do u have all the tools most people would need?

Ive done probably a thousand so just use crimpers and philips

With the mistis the wires will most likeyl be in a series of 8 and are simple to connect straight up if u are wanting to get the head unit to run on accesory u might need to run a seperate wire but shoud already have one there if i remember the mitsis color codes are power either brown or red.Accesory if is one will be yellow or yellow and white then once u have power just test each individaul wire on the speaker cables of head unit.and set the fader and bal to front left first and when u only hear sound from there u know u have got the right speaker.

Its really simple except when u have to do a mates porsche :facepalm:

Haha the joys of uninstalling the old one

If the stereo doesnt come out itll have a harnees most likely a phiilps stereo or Something like that pop they front console shroud around head unit off then get to the sides and there will be to four metal clips u will need to push them in and push the old unit forward

Okay the old one is out! Heaps of little clips and the centre of the dash is hanging off :o Now I have to install the new one, the old wiring matches the new one so I just have to change the plug really. Should be easy but I really don't want to mess it up so I'm labelling all the wires.

Sorted, songs on a flash drive and I'll go for a drive and jam tomorrow :lol:

JB HI-FI claimed to have 6" speakers for sale but when I checked their boxes, they were all 6.5" speakers. Does anyone know where to get some 6" speakers? All the other sites claim the same models JB has are 6" too :-?