which fish do you keep?

AdamBro

I define pure strain as selective breeding resulting in all offspring resembling the parents and or grandparents

I am not trying to cause an argument either but I wouldn't class a strain as pure after only two generations and i certainly wouldn't use the word "resembling" in my definition.

eg I could cross two separate species of Aulonocara and get all the offspring to "resemble the parents" but they would be far from a "pure strain"

I am not trying to cause an argument either but I wouldn't class a strain as pure after only two generations and i certainly wouldn't use the word "resembling" in my definition.

eg I could cross two separate species of Aulonocara and get all the offspring to "resemble the parents" but they would be far from a "pure strain"

Ok, maybe a bad choice of words to try and communicate what I mean. Say my blue black moscows for instance, they were selectively bred over seas until the strain was fixed, then mass bred and exported around the world. I picked up two pairs here when they first became avaliable and bred them in two seperate lines producing only blue black moscows each drop. I am now up to my fourth generation on each line, still only throwing blue blacks. I am confident in my fifth generation where I outcross by swapping my line one females with my line two females will still produce pure blue blacks.

I keep mostly little fish killies, guppies, corys and three types of hillstream loach (you spice your hillstreams blue? :o)- my largest fish are a PT 'Moliwe' and a gold stripe Premnas biaculeatus. Largest tanks are 108l (Marine) and 64l (freshwater)