autopsy of an inanga (caution, contains graphic photos)

blueether

About 3 or 4 weeks ag I noticed that one of the almost 2 year old inanga was developing a lump mid back, this didn't look to be causing any stress to the fish so she was left alone.

DSCN0449.JPG

As the week have gone on the lump has got worse. On the weekend I thought she was going to pass on as she was looking stressed with her head pointing down and tail up, swimming at about 30 deg, and breathing hard.

She then vanished and I thought she had gone into the food chain (koura food), then lastnight I saw her for a brief moment before she hid again. She was having real trouble swimming in a straight line and looked to be having spasms in the aria of the lump when she moved the back end of her body. Tonight I caught her and euthanized as she was having an even worse of it.

She was a good 130mm long, and you can see the lump:

DSCN0522.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0524.JPG

DSCN0527.JPG

Here you can see she was full of roe:

DSCN0529.JPG

DSCN0530.JPG

She was the most incredible colours inside, note how small the intestines are to her body mass:

DSCN0534.JPG

I believe the lump was around the pink spot (but couldn't see anything major) and the white is just nerve tissue/spinal column:

DSCN0535.JPG

DSCN0538.JPG

Roe and eggs:

DSCN0540.JPG

DSCN0546.JPG

DSCN0547.JPG

Something I pulled from the cut where the lump was but I think it is just skin that was dragged into the cut:

DSCN0541.JPG

More photos can be found here https://picasaweb.google.com/113298704761943818357/Autopsy#

Wow, that's a lot of eggs. :) Funny that they're prettier on the inside.

Not surprising you couldn't really see anything from the lump. It doesn't look freakishly large. Maybe just some local swelling in response to something around the spine? Be hard to see once everything's dislocated and rearranged.