Refractometer purchased from the USA

Duke

How does ATC work on a refractometer when you have such a small ammount of water... or is it an ambiant temp correction, implying you have to allow the sample to sit for a time on the slide before reading????

Pies - you are normally a source of knowledge on these matters.... ideas?

I think it uses the expansion of a metal to alter the distance of the reading lines with temperature.

Once the water sample reaches the same temp as the refractometer, then it is temperature compensated. (water's optical density changes with temp, which changes how much the light refracts (bends) when entering the sample)

Layton

that was my thinking also... thermocouple action going on... this does imply that you would have to wait for temp of sample to equalise with the unit, and if the unit had been stored in a cold cupboard etc... it may take a little while.....

I don't think thermocouple, more a metal with a high thermal expansion coefficient.

this does imply that you would have to wait for temp of sample to equalise with the unit

Yip

and if the unit had been stored in a cold cupboard etc... it may take a little while.....

Maybe. Water has a relatively high specific heat capacity, and glass (or whatever they use for the viewing window), has a relatively low heat transfer coefficient.

Layton

My refractometer arived yesterday and sorry to say Duke but i think you got stung i payed $85nz landed and is calabratable with ATC.

Says in the instruction to leave sample in refractometer for at least 30seconds before taking reading so i think layton is right

Once the water sample reaches the same temp as the refractometer, then it is temperature compensated.

also states that it sould be calabrated at 20 dgrees c with RO water.

Dave

The important thing is the women still things I got a great deal..... poor me. Anyway I'm still pleased. Hollywood quoted near $200. So still a good deal as far as I'm concerned.

A great tool for piece of mind... 1.0027 was my water reading.

Not any more