Second attempt at Malawi cichlids

critter_crazy

So after thinking about it for awhile, I've decided to give africans another go (I had my first attempt last year but a few months in something went through my tank and wiped out all my stock within a week) now that I have much more fishy experience.

It's only on a small scale (in my AR850 - 165L) so my plan on stocking is just electric yellows (hopefully a small breeding colony) and possibly some dems to add more colour :thup:

Note: I do have an external running on the tank aswell as the built in one. Also will no doubt upgrade the tank within a year as I'm prone to doing :oops:

I spent around 8 hours yesterday emptying out my tank after having sold off all the fish in it, and converting it into the below. I decided to do it properly this time so spent the money getting some nice background paint, coral sand, big rocks and some dead coral rock. I've ordered in some marine lighting tubes aswell to give it a different look.

Today I picked up my new little featherfin syno from work (she? I think, is about 10cm and oh so cute!). The tank looks much better after settling overnight so I will take some more pics this evening :D

Advice welcome!! :hail:

Here's what it looked like last night while it was still clearing up:

P1050897.jpg

nice layout, best thing about that stone is if you get sick of it a hit with a hammer and coal chisel will split it into even pieces

Thanks for the tip!

Looking good! Really liking the blue painted background for a setup like this.

Cheers! I'm thrilled to bits with the colour!

that's a good start. As long as you have enough filtration (aim for a rated 6 times tank volume per hour minimum) and hiding places (which you do) you shouldn't have many issues with it and should be over run with fry once the fish mature. They are good in ph of 7.3 and above, feed good food and do a 30% water change weekly and it should be easy to maintain and stunning to watch.

Not sure on the dimentions of the tank, its just an Aqua One AR850.

Combined I have 2000Lph going through the two filters which is at least 10x the size of the tank :thup:

pH sitting at 7.8ish.

Update: Picked up 6 electric yellows from work today! They're all a good 5cm long and were breeding in store already so I'm excited to watch them over the next few weeks :happy2:

I'm wanting 6 more and I was thinking I might get them from a breeder to add some different blood into the mix - is this a good idea? Or is it bad to mix imported and local stock?

Photo update!!

P1050911.jpg