Native Fish in Canterbury?

kinnadian

Hey, I'm starting up a native tank (getting some Koura on the weekend) and hope to populate my 3footer with some Bullies, Inaga, etc.

I went out a couple weeks ago to try and find fish in our rivers, but had no luck. I went south to Selwyn river, which was all dried up, and then further south to Raikaia River, but this was too fast flowing to be able to catch fish in (couldn't see any, either). My other alternatives are going north to try and find some side-streams in the Waimak, or the river near Rangiora.

So do we have any native fish keepers here in Christchurch?

Or does anyone know where I can feasibly find some?

selwyn river dries up near state highway 1 as farmers have stolen all water for irrigation. If you go further down towards Leeston it has water in it again as other creeks drain into it. Failing that follow it to Coes Ford and onwards towards lake Ellesmere. Rivers like the rakaia, ashburton and rangitata,huranui, clarence are now usually swollen due to rains so best going to smaller creeks and streams.Good luck!

There is a small branch goes into the Sewyn at Coes Ford. Upstrem on the Lincoln side. Used to catch eals there when I didn't know any better. Had a rellie got fined for catching trout there illegally as well--silly man was frying it up when Mr PLod arrived---almost got a bit added to the fine for asking the judge if he could take the evidence home with him.

Thanks all. Will head north and give Otukaikino a try, and then head over to ashley's gorge.

If I'm only after juveniles do I still need to head out at night and do spotlighting? Or will I have sufficient luck during the day? I'm a complete fishing amateur.

He had Maori as well as Australian Aboriginal blood and a few others. Getting caught with trout in the frying pan is a bit of a give away---wouldn't matter what your heritage was. I don't have Maori blood but I have never been caught.

Yet....

One would have thought that since introduced trout have decimated native freshwater species, that Maori would be entitled to exercise indigenous rights to fish instead for trout for personal consumption without the need to be specifically granted a license, but that appears not to be the case.

http://www.bennion.co.nz/mlr/1998/may.html

if you are only after juveniles you will find them hanging in the shallows during the day. To catch bigger bullies during the day flip over the rocks and they will swim out. Other methods such as spot lighting and using traps work well and these can be used to catch numerous species of white bait and bullies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going first to Otukaikino, nice looking river but couldn't see any fish and couldn't get amongst the deep water without hip waders.

Went up to Ashely's Gorge, spent an hour flipping over rocks and got ~20 of them, ranging from 0.5 inches to 2 inches. Thanks all!

Got 3 crayfish from Vince Skully as well. Working on getting the light dimmed (currently using 1 18W 36" bulb, but it's too bright).

I've got the tank set to summer-conditions to promote activity, but they are barely moving around.

I've tried feeding them a variety of foods but they aren't really eating them (sinking pellets, carrot, pea, liver, hot house turtle food). It's been a week so I thought they would have settled down by now, but I guess I'll just keep offering them food and hoping.