Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How much flow is too much?

Featured Replies

Hi,

I replaced my duck mouth outlet with a spray bar and this caused more flow. There is now movement in most plants as previously there was not.

Now I am wondering if there is not too much flow?

I placed the spray bar on the side of the tank and positioned it so the holes are parallel with the water surface.

Would it be better to aim the outlet down?

Cheers

Across the top should be fine, aids in aeration.

Are any of the fish looking stressed with the flow?

What are the tank dimensions, and the rated flow of the filter?

  • Author

Only just placed spray bar in an hour ago but I don't think fish look stressed.

Tank is 1200 x 45 x 40 (about 200 ltr). My filter is Aquis 1200 for tanks up to 250 liter.

Cheers

Hi,

I replaced my duck mouth outlet with a spray bar and this caused more flow. There is now movement in most plants as previously there was not.

Now I am wondering if there is not too much flow?

I placed the spray bar on the side of the tank and positioned it so the holes are parallel with the water surface.

Would it be better to aim the outlet down?

Cheers

Can the fish sit in one place without moving their tail or fins? Then you have too little flow. Are the fish swirling around the tank helplessly in the current until they get sick and throw up? Then you have too much. Anywhere in between is fine.

My tank doesn't have very much current and it's turning over about 10-13 times per hour. It's twice the volume of yours but with two of the filters you have plus a pair of 3000LPH powerheads.

  • Author

The flow may be a wee much at the surface.

Is it ok to control flow with the outlet tap on my filter? Or would that have an impact on filtration?

If so, how can I lessen the flow?

Cheers

Is it ok to control flow with the outlet tap on my filter?

Best not to.

Or would that have an impact on filtration?

Yes.

If so, how can I lessen the flow?

Aim it downwards or towards the glass.

The flow may be a wee much at the surface.

Is it ok to control flow with the outlet tap on my filter? Or would that have an impact on filtration?

If so, how can I lessen the flow?

Cheers

If you have the skill you can make all the spray bar holes slightly bigger

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.