My 1400 litre project!

jasonnz

I've heard that top soil capped with flourite works.

Sand from the beach will work too...

The aim of the game though is to have nutrient rich substrate for a longer period of time. If your plants dont have access to all the nutrients they need - your going to be wasting a whole lot of time and effort for minimal results.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

done.

Now for some fish.

I even managed to get the co2 done today - timers setup - lighting on timer system - pump running (just mechanical at this stage) - heater in place .. etc etc.

All that is left now is to tidy all the cables and install the pump in place. Then it's time to start preparing some biologicals for the fishies that will be living in the tank.

I am exhuasted. Good thing I had a whole lot of help.

I will update with photos and a journal of events as they unfolded .. from start to finish .. when I have some time this week.

Jason

Big night last night.

Added second filtration unit - removed the filter material from the FX5 - and as per my previous post - filled it with healthy media from another tank - added some new media and some cycle to the tank.

Setup a the second filter (1200) as a mechanical filter - installed the inline UV filter - the atomizer for the Co2 and the inlet outlet valves.

Installed some home plumbing to get the intak and outake of the fx5 in the right place. It doesnt look pretty at the moment - but once I have figured out where it is all going to sit - I will make it permanent - paint the pipes etc.

Installed a bubbler and set it up on a timer - (for dark hours). Set the lights on a timing sequence so they come on in stages and go off in stages.

Need to install the the other heater - prime the second mechanical filter didnt get time last night. and make up some plumbing for the second inlet/outlets.

Then I need to finish filling the tank - (it's 85% full at the moment) and then re-cut the class hoods to fit.Look at hanging the lights.

Then finish. Hope to spend 4 or 5 hours after work tonight and tomorrow .. then I think we will be ready to start dressing the cabinet - and look at building a hood.

Then this weekend I will be ready for some fish. hurrah.

Big night last night.

Installed a bubbler and set it up on a timer - (for dark hours). Set the lights on a timing sequence so they come on in stages and go off in stages.

Why would you want to do this? A tank with the surface area of your size won't need extra airation...

Is your tank going to be that heavily stocked with plants to begin with anyway? The additional CO2 that the plants will give off at night will be marginal.

As long as you have the CO2 system setup on a timer to switch off at night let the CO2 dissipate naturally, this will help avoid a sharp swing in PH as the CO2 exits the water.

I trust you have a CO2 Drop Checker?

What ferts are you planning to dose the plants with?

Frasernz

I setup the bubbler because while you might be right about the surface area - I'm just not totally comfortable during dark hours not having one running. There are a hell of a lot of plants in my tank.

For fertilizers, I have some flourish products from seachem which i will dose as required, I only have a few plants that do not have roots - so most of the plans will actually get a good dose from the substrates.

just setting up a spreadsheet actually - to track dosages.

need to look for a testkit for checking iron levels.

Well do keep an eye on the PH of your tank if you do it that way.

As for Fertilizing, I use to use all seachems products until I read this...

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... -which-one

It's a little more technical, but the results speak for themselves, and works out a lot cheaper cheaper as well.

I'm pretty sure there are a few people on this site that would agree with me on this as well.

There are a hell of a lot of plants in my tank.

This would be the main reason why you shouldn't need a bubbler. The plants will release a lot of O2 thoughout the day and the rest should be taken care of with the movement of the water.

Thanks for that antwan and FraserNZ

I put the bubbler aside for now.

As for ferts, I have some of the new aquavitro range of ferts from seachem. I will give them a go - see how they work out. Alot of reading was done to try and get a good understanding of the requirements. I'm not 100% sure about it all just yet .. as everything here is new to me .. however the Barrreport was very useful.

First photo of the semi completed setup .. coming in a few minutes.

This is a pic of the tank as it stands this evening. See how many plants you can spot.

The cabinet is my next job - it will be finished over the next few weeks - dressing it nicely etc.

two themes in one tank. why not when you have the space.

vkii5ejs.pia.jpg

A quick run down on the planting :

1. On the right in waht looks like squares of grass are Riccia Fluitans .. each section is attached to the tile and will form a nice complete carpet (hopefully) which fully covers the right hand side foreground. (the tiles keep it on the bottom and will eventually disapear from view).

2. On the extreme left is 3 moss trees. These were made from pohutakawa roots and grown over a period of 6 months. (I did not make these but actually got them from trademe user VALRAY - who by the way is an amazing aquarist and supplier).

3. Behind and around the stones we have Dwarf hairgrass - Echinodorus tenellus and Echinodorus quaricostatus and although not much of it was available we also have some Eleocharis parvula in and around the foreground to the left.

4. You will notice the large misplaced rocks on the left. This is because the wood was partially submerged and decided it didnt want to sit still. Although not completely planned - I'm not too worried about it.

5. We have plenty of java ferns of different sizes, jungle VAL on the left hand side at the extreme back.

6. In the foreground on the left i am trying some Glossostigma which seems to be everyones fav carpet plant.

Under the hood of the tank is

1. fx5 running biological media

2. aquaone1200 pure mechanical filtration

3. 36 watt UV Steriliser

4. co2 setup with an inline CO2 Atomizer

Over the tank:

1. 4 x dual bulb t5ho fittings which are 120cm each.

2. 4 x GLO power glo bulbs

3. 4 x GLO day glo bulbs.

In the tank :

1. MX-1014 with 1000 watt Titanium Heater

2. custom made piping for filter fittings.

3. spraybar from aquaone.

I wouldn't say it looks amazing (cos it doesn't yet) but I think you are off to a good start... and well done on how much you have accomplished in a short time. :hail:

A note on the driftwood:

I think I remember you saying you collected it from port waikato? If so then it is probably pine (it also looks like pine). I have been hunting for driftwood there myself but in the end did not take any cos it's pretty much all pine there.

Pine degrades/rots very quickly in or out of fishtanks (especially commercial quick grown pine) and it could very likely leach non fish friendly stuff into the water.

Much better to go with some native hardwoods or the driftwood they sell in petshops.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have some dark driftwoods actually from a petshop and have located some more!

The last thing we want is the tank being destroyed by dodgy wood!

Re the comment about the tank looking fantastic! I dont expect anything to look fantastic for a few months yet! Little plants need sOme time to grow!

If you can be bothered dividing all the bits of glosso up into indervidual plantlets it will heap it carpet a lot better. It will also stop bits from growing upwards so easily.

The Glosso will be a good test for the lighting on your tank anyway. If it grows upwards = not enough lighting, if it carpets across the substrate = your lights should be fine to grow most plants.

+1 to all of the above.

Glosso will grow upwards with low lighting, I have close to 5 watts per gallon and it still has a little bit of upward growth.

I too think that individual planting of each plantlet will give you better results. I originally plated them in big clumps like you, then had a OCD kick in and planted them all individually.

One singular theme looks better IMO, the rocks on the right looks cool though.

Lastly, the glosso on the right will require frequent trimming to keep it grounded, it requires high light as well so I am unsure how well it will do in a deep tank like that.

Good luck and I look forward to progress.

Yes - there are no rules when creating a planted aquarium.

I wasnt interested in conforming to 1 scene - or limiting myself to 1 or 2 plants. At the end of the day - I have to look at it all day .. and wanted to have as many scenes and angles to the tank.

I didnt like 2.4m of rocks .. although it would look cool in a small tank - in a large tank it would look very bare and plain. At the same time - an entire tank of wood would be a mess. I was interested to get a mix of the 2 elements and to see if I could somehow join them together.

Now that we are going to change the wood .. some additional thought will go into the layout....

Stay tuned.

I have to agree with the 2 themes looking a bit "thrown together" but I know you probably spent alot of time trying to get it to look just right.

I've had a few layouts that no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to look natural or interesting . Sometimes it can be just one rock or a piece of wood which is skewing the theme of the tank.

Don't lose hope, and keep at it until you're satisfied with the overall look .

Much easier to make changes now than when everything starts growing in.

From all the reading I've done in this thread, it comes across as you are more than willing to spend what it takes to get a great tank . - Layout is one of those things that will make or break it. Take your time and change things around until you find something that works for you.

If the rocks & wood aren't doing it for you , change it up - Don't limit yourself to the stuff you already have on hand if it isn't working . There's a lot of ways to find good driftwood if you can be bothered hunting it yourself. (beaches / teatree roots ) I don't recommend paying petshop prices (like $40-50 for a small to medium chunk of wood, with saw blade markings and all.)

All in all, your tank and setup is amazing. The layout isn't holding up it's end of the deal.

I enjoy checking back every few days for updates, so keep us posted !