High Demand Languages

jc254

Can anyone tell me what language translators are in high demand in NZ?

First I thought Chinese but was wondering if there was a demand for any other language e.g. Russian

the number one would be Te Reo of course, seeing as its NZ's other official Language, and theres a dedicated TV Channel that mainly uses the language.

And the other official language is NZ Sign Language so that would probably have a decent demand for it too.

If your after foreign Languages, a few suggestions (I work at Vic Uni in IT, and we have our PC image setup for the Language school)

Arabic(alot of Arabic Students, and it also opens up Malay, Indonesian etc.);

Mandarin(Not sure if that's the dialect you mean with Chinese);

French(Which used to be Taught in schools and still is as a choice subject);

Spanish(Which is the Second most natively spoken Language in the world, also opens up Italian, Portuguese, and others);

Japanese(NZ does alot of trade with Japan, being only a small country they have a big influence on Technology, so you'll be able to translate those pesky instruction manuals which dont have english)

German(usually a good one and also opens up other Euro languages, its also the base languages of English so isn't too hard to pickup)

only other one i can think of is Korean, but the ones above would be the top ones i can think of that we also cater for the most at Vic, and are also the most spoken in the world.

have a friend who is a spanish translator part time, she says to learn spanish as its the base for most mediterranian languages and also for most south american languages (its the 3rd most common language in the world) plus it would be useful if you head to sou8h america on a collecting trip :wink:

was thinking for front-line police, what would aide in my application. Im a white male ages between 18-25 so competition is fierce. I have a degree, I am volunteering in the community by teaching football at high schools just need to learn a language.

I start tutoring for NZ sign in the next few weeks but I am going to want/need to learn another language. I am dyslexic so I have been told Mandarin is really hard to get around so was thinking Russian as NZ has a growing Russian community in CHCH but I dont know if its a language that is in demand.

Depends where you get posted, if you are in Auckland any of the above. Pick the one you are interested or find the easiest as you're more likely to enjoy learning it and spend the time learning to be good at it. It's not just the ability to speak a particular language that is the appreciated skill, it's the ability to communicate with other people and to be able to translate. If you are really busting to try and pick the 'right' one - if there is such a thing -why not see if you can find statistics for which races get arrested and/or charged other than english speaking ones.

the number one would be Te Reo of course, seeing as its NZ's other official Language, and theres a dedicated TV Channel that mainly uses the language.

And the other official language is NZ Sign Language so that would probably have a decent demand for it too.

Amazing!! I was in disbelief and had to Google it, as one does, and was shocked to find that "English is the dominant and a de facto language, spoken by most New Zealanders, but is not an official language". I would love to see the actual figures per population of those who speak/sign both. I saw a clip on You Tube once that stated that the Chinese language would be the most spoken language in the world in the nearing future. It's a shame that I can't recall the title of the video, my previous flatmate showed me a few years ago. That's food for thought aye?