Java fern dying

GrahamC

My Java ferns have started to die off leaving just the rhizome behind. These are tethered to drift wood. I had a bunch that was free floating and I moved it to a different tank in case it were some type of nutritional deficiency but it has just continued. Even the plantlets at the leaf tips died off. Nitrates are high so nitrate deficiency is not this causing it. PH neutral. No idea on magnesium or iron.

I do have a bad case of BBA in the original tank and wonder if this might be causing it by smothering the roots.

I have started tonight dosing with API Algaefix to see if I can clear the BBA.

I have had mixed success with java fern. Some people have alluded to the fact that it died because I kept it out of the water for too long during tying it to wood etc, but stuff I haven't done any harm to haven't survived either. The stuff in my CPD tank does really well, but not bolbitis or windelov. The stuff in my loach tank is looking rather sad. Now I just stick with the ones that do well, plain java fern and narrow leaf.

The tank is right next to a window. My understanding is that java fern does well in low light but can do even better in bright light. So, it was growing well in summer but now in winter it seems to be dying. I only use artificial lighting for a few hours in the evening.

I doubt the algae treatment will have any effect. Once the leaf starts to go brown it's had it and you might as well cut if off. A new one will grow from the stumpy bit later. IF you have not displeased the fern gods that is..... :roll: one never knows

I noticed I had BBA around the roots and wondered if that were causing the issues hence the use of algae cide. I have read that the fern can regrow from the rhizome if it is intact. At present only 10% of the plant is affected so I would like to stop it spreading.

I shall make an offering tonight to Haumia-tiketike.

I have a love hate relationship with Java Fern, I have a really nice Java Plant that is pretty big. It seems to completely die off once a year, goes completely black, then a few months latter it springs back turns green again and starts to flourish?!

(running in a high tech tank with ferts and co2)

:dunno:

IMG_0273.JPG

The left plant is the windelov which parts of it are turning brown from the tip inwards. Other leaves are dark at the tips indicating new growth. The middle shows what's left of the ordinary java fern and that seems to be some new growth from the rhizome. In the background and elsewhere you can see BBA.

If it were me, I would remove the dead and dying leaves since they are no longer contributing nutrients for the plant and will just decompose and improve the habitat for BBA.

My experience is that as long as the rhizome is not badly damaged new leaves will begin to grow from a healthy rhizome in 2 - 3 weeks.

So trim that puppy back as much as you have to, to remove dying / dead plant matter.

I have also read that alot of people have issues when combining flourish excel & Java fern - perhaps this is a case ?

I have also read that alot of people have issues when combining flourish excel & Java fern - perhaps this is a case ?

Used for ages, never had a problem...

Looking at the photo, I don't think that there is anything major going on, looks just like nutrient deficiency to me.

Excel it and see how that goes...