Favonigobius species

F15hguy

Hi, have just set up a mudflat tank (will do a short article soon) and have 3 sand gobies I believe are Favonigobius sp.

Would like a proper ID on them. where would I locate data on fin ray counts, or scale counts???

I will post pic tomorrow.

it has 6-7 front dorsal rays. and 11 rear dorsal rays.

most species I have seen described only have 7 - 9 rear dorsal rays

They are cool fish (when they come out of sand). bright blue spots down sides. and red marbling

well tanks going well, fish are settling in and im planning on moving to stage 2 in 2 weeks if all parameters stay good.

how do I post pics??, do I have to find somewhere to upload them to first???

Sounds interesting.

use a img host (flicker/google+/imageshack/etc) and then use the img tags above

lol, understatement.... seems weird to me that everything i read says that most northern harbours only have Flavonigobius exquisitus, yet there seems to be not much info available on them. and the specimen photo's of F. exquisitus do not really look like mine. they seem more like melanobranchus. plus the specimen drawings of exquisitus only have 9 read dorsal rays, where as mine have 11.

makes it more interesting tho, and I will continue on my quest for a good photo, they are settling in already and are getting to be quite agressive feeders. which brings me to another point. is a diet of shrimp pellets, minced clam and bloodworms ok for them, all info puts them as scavengers, and they are kinda vicious on the clam and shrimp (havent tried bloodworms yet) so im assuming this will be ok. any ideas will be helpful (p.s. must be in the VERY low $$$ range.

hrmmm. how do you get full pic on image shack???, thats a high def image thats 3mb, but i can only view small version

When you are looking at your images in your folder (thumbnails), you will see next to them how they have lots of little icons. Click the blue "i" at the top of the list of icons. Then click the box next to "Direct" that has the link in it. It will automatically highlight the link. Right click and click "copy". Then click the Img button when you are posting on here. Click in the middle of the Img when it appears in the text box, and then right click and click paste it in the middle. The link will appear inside the Img code. When you post your image it will then appear full-size.

Forsterygion nigripenne <=== nope not a triple fin, only got 2 dorsal fins, 6 and 11 rays and VERY large pectorials... reminds me of a very tiny gurnard almost.

think I have 2 males and one female as two of them are always displaying to each other.

dont think so, lateralis dorsal count 7:10, and slightly different face

they all got different personalities showing already.. probably going to add a small rock tower to hide filter intake and a few shrimp to finish stocking....

wouldnt be surprised in tauranga.

i am thinking lateralis now, found a couple of good pics online that do look similar.

I have a funny feeling I have a pair in my tank, they are making a small depression in the sand and the larger male (?) is displaying to one of the other, driving him away and the smallest one is hanging around him. they all came out of the same puddle, but the third one was about a meter off to the side of the first 2.